ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guys I'm finding it hard to judge the width & length of the brush

Guys I'm finding it hard to judge the width & length of the brush

Hi people, i'm finding it hard to judge the exact size of the brush, whether it be the air brush or paint brush doesn't matter. I've tried the precise and magnify precise but feel the original shape to be more precise in most situations. Has anyone got and idea's or tips for judging the size other than over time i'll get used to it lol

How did you get the hang of it ?
    Vista Business SP2 - 32 bit
    Hardrives - 320Gb main
    MB - Intel Core 2 CPU@2.4Ghz

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    - NVidiaGeForce 8800GT,190.62
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

AR3 Studio Professional Unleash The Full Power

Hi Col,
    I don't use the precise mode. then it shows a brush outline as the actual effective size..
    it works..
    The more hair I lose, the more head I get.

Maybe it's the flow or loading or something that's causing overflow into area's that i don't want a specific colour to go.

I'm working with Stencils at the moment while i wait for my new tablet to arrive, i gave up trying to draw with a bar of soap lol

So... i'm working on a very special tribute for someone with stencils, i'm working with layers and everytime i change colour i create a new layer, so if it does overflow i can rub it out, but i'm looking for a little more control, less rubbing out lol.

Any tips on the brush settings would be great, to reduce the amount of overflow errors, i'm using both the AirBrush and PaintBrush in close proximity at times
    Hardrives - 320Gb main

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

Hey I don't use the air brush at all, so i don't know about that.
    as for the overflow, i don't get why that should happen if you're using a stencil..
    Only thing I can think of is you might be using the stencil in ruler or guide mode instead of stencil mode..in which case they would be other colors than red. If you are then it can be easily changed from active stencil dialogue box..
    hope this helps..
    The more hair I lose, the more head I get.

I'm painting with a flower Stencil and using different colours for different buds in the overall vine, on another flower i have different area's of the flower stencil that i'm using different colours in, these areas aren't masked by the stencil, so i'm trying to gt accurate lines, it makes it a bit hard when i'm having trouble finding the edge of my brushes
    Hardrives - 320Gb main

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

Just in case someone follows the bread crumbs to this thread, i have found an answer to my problem. I think the only way to get used to the brushes edge bounds is time, it's very different to any other form of digital painting and requires some patience lol.

I do have a work around for the stencils though and that is.

1) Grab the stencil out that you want to paint with different colours, and place it on the canvas area that you want to paint.

2) Grab 3 or 4 friskals out or whatever other stencil will mask the areas you don't want to be coloured with a particular colour, that your painting with at the time.

3) Make sure to start a new layer everytime you change colour, by doing this you can rub out any mistakes without affecting the other colours that you have previously painted.

I think it would be great to have a "masking tape tool" lol so you can just freely place Masking Tape over area's that you don't want painted in the stencil

Hope it helps

Col
    Last edited by Silentman; 06-30-2009 at 12:51 PM.
    Hardrives - 320Gb main

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

Hiya Silentman
    dont know if this helps you but you could try painting a black positive on a new layer over areas of the photo you wanted to retain. Then using the bottom arrow on this layer to access the menu options, choose 'Make a stencil from this layer'.

Here a pic of what i mean... obviously this was done quick to explain the technique and you would need to take more care than i did here.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

That's a great idea juz, i hadn't thought of it, thanks for the tips
    Hardrives - 320Gb main

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22