ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sunset Trestle - the trestle is built

Sunset Trestle - the trestle is built

Trestle to follow ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	119.2 KB 
ID:	29485   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	02.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	29486   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	03.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	29487   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	04.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	29488   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	29489  

Last edited by RobertSWade; 06-26-2009 at 04:33 PM.

Sunset Trestle - the trestle is built

Three layers so far ... all oil.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	06.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	29490  
    Last edited by RobertSWade; 06-26-2009 at 04:27 PM.

Robert, that's a real didatic lesson. Yellows and reds in a "degradÍ" motion dispersing light everywhere. Beautiful teaching way to show how you did it

Good to see you posting again, Robert! Thanks for sharing the stages thus far. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out!
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.

Looking good so far, love the colors, I'll be waithing to see the rest...

Thank you Oriane and Scott and Weemb. I'm spending the week at my daughter's in Minnesota and have more quiet time to get back to work on the art.
    Last edited by RobertSWade; 06-24-2009 at 03:38 AM.

A wonderful start, Robert, to what I'm sure will be a compelling artwork once complete. Since I admire your works a great deal, I find it particularly rewarding and informative to "peek over your shoulder" and see how you acheive your results.
    As a relative novice, I often gaze in wonder at some of the stunning artworks presented in this forum and can't help saying..."How the heck did they DO that?????????" Your generousity (and that of others) in letting us see the "bones" behind the works we admire is invaluable and I thank you.
    jb

JB, thank you very much for your kind words and you are most welcome my friend. Here are some more bones:
    The image is 1600X2400 pixels.
    The Grain is Ico dY's Wet Canvas
    ( http://www.turnangel.com/lightneasy/download.php ... A Series Part 2)
    set to 25% on Roughness and Scale, 100% Opacity.
    I picked out 10 sky shades and painted them as stripes in the lower right corner and used the color picker to switch between them.
    Pic 1 brush settings were 50% pressure, 25% thinner, and 100% loading.
    The blending between pic 1 & 2 was with the default knife set to 50% size and pressure and using very small circular motions.
    The sun was made by sizing the circle stencil, erasing and recoloring with just the slightest yellow tint.
    The blending between 2 & 3 was with the brush at 50% size and pressure and 0 loading and thinner.
    The land portion (layer 2) was done with colors picked from the sky and then darkened ... brush size was changed to 10% with the other settings as above, then some light blending with the knife at 20 % pressure and 10% size.
    Slightly lighter colors from layer 2 were used as highlights for layer 3, same brush settings.
    For the following layer(s) I'll be usings rulers in conjunction for the straight lines and start/stop points, an oval stencil, and black oils. I'm thinking I might also do some airbrush work on the sky layer to add a little softness and fluff in spots.

Thank you for going through your process with us, Robert. Being a technical illustrator and relatively new to digital painting, I'm constantly fighting myself and my ingrained training, the processes are seemingly counter intuitive. To see your examples, especially the startling transformation from the first shot when seemingly random daubs of paint magically begin to form an image before your eyes....I'm grinning now...it's one of those things that just gets me every time. It's a privilege to see an artist at work.

Very kind of you Swiv; thank you.