ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Can't save documents

Gallery
    View images

Can't save documents

I just downloaded AR2.5 and spent ages drawing on it just to find out that I can't save D;
    I click on Save Painting As but nothing shows up. Trying to exit and clicking "yes" when the save message pops up doesn't work either, nor does exporting.

I'd really appreciate some help ;c

Gallery
    View images
    I've not seen this behavior before so let's see what we can find out.

Can you tell us what operating system you're using?
    Are you using the Starter Edition or the Full Edition of ArtRage ( both can save and load, but it's useful to know )
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images
    I thought so, because I keep googling all over but I haven't found anyone with the same problem.

I use Vista. I'm assuming it's the starter edition, t's called ArtRage_Portable, and it's made up of a single folder with the .exe file.
    A few months ago I had installed AR Starter Edition, but couldn't start it (got a "resource was not found" error message) so my friend got this portable version.

Gallery
    View images
    The portable version is either an unofficial and unauthorised starter edition (I am looking in to the Softpedia edition, as far as I know no permission was given for them to change the installer), or an unauthorised full edition. I would advise that you uninstall it and do a virus scan (in searching for it I found a number of sites that were flagged with viruses), then download and install the Starter Edition from www.artrage.com/artragedown.html. If you are getting a 'resource not found' error this is generally because either the installer has not installed the resource files for the product, they have been moved, or the resource files are the wrong type.

If you get the starter edition directly from us again, run a virus scan, and still have the problem we can look in to it further and see if there's anything we can think of that might be causing this.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Gallery
    View images
    Okay. I removed the version of AR I had and installed AR Starter Edition from the official site, and ran a virus scan, but I still have the same problem opening AR. I didn't touch anything after installing it so I can't see how a file would be missing.

Thanks for your help so far!

Gallery
    View images
    I recently bought a new laptop, and tried installing artrage but I still get the same error message when I try to run it. It opened a first time, and it worked fine but now it's back to the same.

Gallery
    View images
    Given that it's happened across two machines it sounds like install location may have something to do with it.

Are you installing the starter edition on the local hard drive of the laptop?
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Gallery
    View images
    I'm installing on the default location the installer gives me, it's "C:\Program Files". I tried installing to other directories but it's the same.

Gallery
    View images
    MKU, just curious reading the thread: The front part says you're having an ArtRage "file save" and "export" problem. Later in the thread it appears you're saying you are having a problem opening Artrage. ???????

Also, in the first part (file save problem), it isn't clear exactly what happens when you select "file save" or "export". Do you get any error messages? Do you follow the correct save path to find the saved or exported files? Just curious because it's hard to tell exactly what's happening from the post.

Just a thought? In some programs I've encountered "save" problems from virus software interference. You might try turning of your virus software just to see if there is an outside chance the problem lies there. If it does there will be some kind of setting to reverse it. This is a long shot, but I've seen it happen.

Good luck, whatever it is. It's a weird one.
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

Gallery
    View images
    Just to clarify: Is the problem at the moment that you can't launch the application because it tells you 'a requested resource could not be found'?

The Starter Edition doesn't install anything outside its own folder in the C:/Program Files location, and it doesn't rely on any registry keys, so if the install succeeded you shouldn't be experiencing a problem. Check in the application resources folder (C:/Program Files/Ambient Design/ArtRage 2 Starter Edition/Resources) and make sure that the files system.grf and system.gsf are there, they are required for the interface to construct itself.

If they aren't there then there has been an installation problem, possibly due to virus software running during installation (although I've not seen this happen before). If they are there then there may be an access problem. If your account is not an administrator account or the software was installed from a different user account this may cause it.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.