ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: The future of AR Oil Brush

The future of AR Oil Brush

While I am very excited about the new toys we will get, I was curious whether the current oil brush will stay as it is, perhaps renamed oil brush classic? hehe. I have, alas, become addicted to thin washes of oil in my current project. Oh alright I know you probably can't answer that question!
    Cheers
    Boxy

Quote Originally Posted by Boxy View Post
    While I am very excited about the new toys we will get, I was curious whether the current oil brush will stay as it is, perhaps renamed oil brush classic? hehe. I have, alas, become addicted to thin washes of oil in my current project. Oh alright I know you probably can't answer that question!
    Cheers
    Boxy

Hi Boxy - your angst is showing. But I'll also bet you are not the only one curious.

Of course, I have no way of knowing, but I imagine there will be even more choices for thin washes. Somehow I find it hard to imagine we'll lose a good feature. I'm placing my bets the tools will be noticeably enhanced and we'll all dance joyfully. I check the announcements every day, looking for that notice that AR3 is released.

Cheers back.
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

You're not being anywhere near paranoid enough :-)

In this thread I mentioned how a web-comic artist wound up with being forced (dead laptop) to upgrade her drawing program, which worked substantially differently from the previous version. This wound up setting her back (in terms of finishing the comic) due to having to figure out how, with the new program, to produce work that looked like what she did with the previous version!

So, on the one hand, I'm thinking, "Gee, no problem, if they change things so the old settings/techniques/whatever don't work, I'll just leave ArtRage 2.5 installed so I can do both!" which is comforting for nearly a second :-). Then I realize that I'll have to switch back and forth between the two programs, hope that they can successfully load each other's file formats, don't change each other's colors/textures/settings...

So I see the ArtRage developers SERIOUSLY on the horns of a dilemma. On the one hand, keep all the old settings/tools/etc. and risk a more complicated and potentially confusing interface, because they want to leave in all our old abilities. On the other hand, change things to make improvements (which we've nearly all called for!) and risk removing some magic "30% pressure/50% softness" setting that some number of people have come to love.

As Ziggy once said, "I may not have a solution, but I certainly admire the problem" -- and man, that's a doozy.

~~~~~~~~~

Say, anyone been around since the ArtRage 1.0 days? Care to comment on how those changes went?

I'm really not throwing stones here. My apologies if it seems that way... it's just a concern I have that I think worth discussing.
    WARNING: ArtRage can cause serious loss of time, and excessive smiling! Use with care! Frequently!

“All creativity is an extended form of a joke.” – Alan Kay

Yes good point. I'm nearly a quarter of the way through my book project and I suddenly thought, 'will I have to start again?' I can honestly say a large part of how they end up is directly down to the way Artrage's Oil brush and pencil tools make things look.
    From what they have said they're very keen to keep everything unique about AR so here's hoping that means expansion rather than replacement
    Cheers
    Boxy