ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The best pencil I've ever seen...

The best pencil I've ever seen...

Undoubtedly Sketchbook Pro. Just tried the trial..
    The Pencil is the best I've ever used in any of the software.

Was trying it out and just did this in under three minutes...
    it's called: "I'll carry it for you Mr.Frodo...Sob Sob..!" haha!

The smooooothest digital pencil ....try it if you don't believe me...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gamgee2.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	442.7 KB 
ID:	28896  
    The more hair I lose, the more head I get.

irishrose Guest
    Glad you're having fun Ashy. Who makes Sketchbook Pro? I think Corel makes something similar or is this their baby?

used to be Alias, now it's AutoDesk.

irishrose Guest
    Gotcha.. and it's a free trial? Do they have it for Mac??

fully functional trial for 15 days..
    dunno about mac tho..

irishrose Guest
    I'll check it out, thanks Ashy!

Sketchbook Pro Pencil

I have to agree with you. Out of the box, SBP's pencil rocks. But it really burned me up that I'd have to pay $100 bucks for another program just for the pencil when I already have Painter and Photoshop. So I spent a few hours trying to reproduce the brush in Painter X, which required a lot of trial and error (and a bit of frustration) to get it just right, but I was able to make one that feels and looks just as nice as SBP. Actually, better, since I can get it to react how I want to Painter's paper textures and other brushes.

There's two drawbacks of course. First, Painter requires a much larger initial $$$ output if you don't already own it (unless you're a student or instructor, in which case the price is the same as SBP). Also Painter is more system intensive, so if you just want to load up a program for sketching, SBP is nice. But not $100 nice, imo. Personally, I'm still thinking about getting SBP at some point, because the rulers and guides are also very cool.

I'm waiting to see what ArtRage 3 can do! Maybe (hopefully) we won't need Sketchbook.
    Last edited by Stormseye; 06-12-2009 at 12:05 PM.

Hi flyashy,
    I have always liked the pencil in SBP.I bought SBP2010.Still way cheaper than painter and photoshop.Not as cheap as AR of course but it is a very different program.SBP is a very powerful,easy to use program.I like the mirror,drawing lines,ruler tools and user define brushes.
    To be honest haven't used SBP for awhile be concentrating on AR lately.

Hey Stormeye, would you mind sharing your hard worked pencil of painter?
    I have access to painter at work and would love to try it out.
    I'd also made a couple of pencils, one using a rake for crosshatch shading that I could share with you if you want..

SCP I have a question for you, have you tried the 2009 also? Are there major feature upgrades from 2009? I was wondering if it'd be any worth.
    I tried googling it but couldn't really find a comparison.

ta,
    ashy

Painter Sketching Pencil

Sure, be happy to. Here's a .zip file with the Painter X brush files inside. I've never actually exported individual brushes before, so I hope they work. I had to fake out the message board to allow me to post a zip file, so please change the extension.

I generally use it with a 50% opacity and a 50% gray tone to get a nice lead pencil effect. If you bump it up to a 100% opacity, it looks more like the one from SBP, but I like the pencil look. I don't use full black, as it shows the edges more than I like. Whichever you prefer. Also, I have a fairly light touch when I'm sketching, so you might have to adjust Painter's tracking to match your style.

There is one thing that I really don't like about Painter, especially when working with pencils. It doesn't handle zoom well, so I do sketching at 100%, or else work looks bitmapped. Prints fine, just looks not so hot on the screen. SBP has really nice scaling. I really do like SBP. It's good stuff. I'm just cheap

Let me know what you think. Hope you like it. Enjoy!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Stormseye; 06-12-2009 at 10:08 PM.