ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Movie>Mind>Interpretation>Art>ArtRage

Movie>Mind>Interpretation>Art>ArtRage

Hi all, I would love it if you gave me some critique on how to make these sketches more realistic. These are images that stuck in my mind from the movie Australia and from the movie The Fall

I think I am not achieving the depth I want to with all the random images that make up the whole. Do any of you see movies and just fall in love with the visuals and want to interpret them with your mind? How do you go about it? Do you have examples?

I was not very clued in to the project when I was drawing from memory after watching "The Fall". Additionally, I was very new to Artrage. But I managed to capture some more stages of the drawing from Australia.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Australia1.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	460.4 KB 
ID:	28747   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Austra1.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	394.5 KB 
ID:	28748   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Austra10.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	445.7 KB 
ID:	28749   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Astro20.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	455.6 KB 
ID:	28750  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I haven't seen any of those movies
    The pictures look interesting, they just need more detail and a bit of story
    'Australia' painting is too... errrm... Noisy? I don't know the word for it, but there's too many different objects. The painting more looks like a poster for a movie in it's very early edition
    'The Fall' looks pretty well, but I can't understand what is drawn on the right middle if it. You should add shadows on the mountains

To make sketches realistic... Just paint...
    There's no clear option of drawing, it relies on your vision of the picture
    Usually, I make sketches with pencil, then I fill them with basic colors, using chalks or crayons, then smudge colors, and then add details with the airbrush
    It is important to use higher picture's resolution to draw details

To improve your skills, you should read more tutorials (not only for AR2 - any theory of drawing would be nice)
    Also, it is good to watch video-lessons
    And, the most important, - practice and patience)

the silhouette of the horse is done well. if i was you i would start from there. the horse has muscle that you havent shown. I would do i line drawing of the horse with its muscles and then start adding in the light and dark values to make the muscles of the horse pop out. when your done with the light and shadows on another layer i would start to add color. hope that helps some.
    good luck.
    p.s. Davincis horse sketches would be a great place to start.
    my work- gusion85.deviantart.com

You should paint to please yourself, If your happy with the painting then it's done, move on to the next one..I would say though that you should save all of them, I know I wish I had some of my earlier ones..Read all the tutorials and practice, practice, practice...well done...

Thank you so much - these are some very helpful pointers. I am fascinated by horses and their drawings. I think I was not entirely confident about drawing muscles and the effect of light and shadows on them when I drew this. I will try again with just the horse. Could you please share a link to Davinci's horse sketches?