Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Homage to Hoffman

Thank you Little John, I'm so glad you liked it.
    I use the oil brush most of the time. The settings below are fairly typical. I pretty much leave the pressure and loading but vary the thinner between 60% to 99% to create overlaying washes (usually working from dark to light).

I usually end up defining fine lines and edges with the pencil or occasionally the air brush with a size of 1%.
    Cheers
    Boxy
    Last edited by Boxy; 06-15-2009 at 11:30 AM.

No sir, Boxy. Like it simply not enough...I LOVE it. I've been following the illustrations for your book and wishing I could do half of what you do.

Thanks so much for sharing your settings and technique with me.

Just a thought, maybe you should do a little tutorial as you do your next page. I'd love to see your workflow etc.

It's a lot of work, so I would not blame you if you pass on the idea. What can I say, I'm a fan. I'd love to see how you do what you do and compare it with what I do to see where I could improve.

Respectfully,
    John
    J. Little
    I'm no artist, just a junkie with a pencil...
    --------------------------------------------------
    You can check out my photography on...
    http://www.anganjohnphoto.com
    ---------------------------------------------------

Hey Little John thanks so much, I'm really thrilled you LOVE the images - made my day. The next page is almost done. A tutorial sounds like a nice project but it would be a bit tricky at the moment as I'm already burning the candles at both ends to do this much between work. But if I've gathered enough WIPs it might be fun to do a time lapse when I get the chance.
    In the meantime I hope you have seen the truly inspirational Nick Harris' first tutorial on ArtRage:

http://nickillus.co.uk/page9.html

Your work is great - Elvis is class, I remember trying to draw him over and over again as a child - and the tigers are also among my favourites. The only advice I'm giving myself at the moment is to practice practice and thrice practice. After years of not bothering I have a lot of catching up to do so I try and sketch, I try not to see a face as a face but as a series of shapes and tones etc...
    None of the images are planned and there are no preparatory sketches either so they literally begin when I fire up Artrage and consider the verses included on the page.
    Much as I'd love to I probably won't post much more until they're all done otherwise there will be no surprises, but I can say after the idyll of the last scene things are about to get a little ugly muhahaargh!!

Last edited by Boxy; 06-18-2009 at 05:40 AM.

irishrose Guest
    Very cool, another glimpse into the dark world... hehe... I can see it coming along nicely. Wow... I love the color in this, and thank you for the link to Nickillus' tutorial!

Thanks very much Rose, like everything else the colour scheme is meticulously planned obviously.
    Actually I think there is another great tutorial on that page Nick did for ImagineFX magazine. He may have done it in Painter, but its all painting innit?
    Cheers
    Boxy

irishrose Guest
    Boxy, I just checked it out and it's definitely all done in ArtRage, but even if it were Painter or any other program, the concepts are the same... he's an awesome painter.. as are you! Keep at it! It's going great!
    Last edited by irishrose; 06-18-2009 at 11:33 AM.

Thanks very much for your continued support Rose, much appreciated.
    Boxy

Boxy,
    Thank-you for the link. I have the tutorials downloaded on my computer for future reference.
    Also, thanks so much for the compliments. I can not however claim your praise on the tigers. That was done by my business partner, Eddie.
    I definitely understand burning the candle at both ends. Good luck with that and remember, don't lose your mind...you might miss it.
    I've given myself the same assignments, sketch frequently, see with an artist's eye, learn and practice, practice, practice and then practice some more. Since I have always been a pencil artist, the whole color thing has not come easy, but I keep trying and learning from folks like you.
    Great job on the latest by the way. It's looking awesome from what I can see. Scary stuff, man.

Respectfully,
    John
    J. Little
    I'm no artist, just a junkie with a pencil...
    --------------------------------------------------
    You can check out my photography on...
    http://www.anganjohnphoto.com
    ---------------------------------------------------

irishrose Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxy View Post
    Thanks very much for your continued support Rose, much appreciated.
    Boxy
    Always a pleasure!

Quote Originally Posted by Little_John View Post
    I can not however claim your praise on the tigers. That was done by my business partner, Eddie.
    Oops sorry about that. Lets talk about dreamcatcher then. Really nice image, the feathers are beautiful. Did you say whether that was digital or trad?

I definitely understand burning the candle at both ends. Good luck with that and remember, don't lose your mind...you might miss it.
    Ha, you know all these years I felt there was something missing but could never put my finger on it. Suddenly the reason nothing made sense makes sense...

I've given myself the same assignments, sketch frequently, see with an artist's eye, learn and practice, practice, practice and then practice some more. Since I have always been a pencil artist, the whole color thing has not come easy, but I keep trying and learning from folks like you.
    Tell me about it, I really do feel I'm right at the beginning again after years of working only in 3D. The other day I found a drawing of my cousin in a 1984 sketchbook and I was quite shocked I used to be able to draw like that. Don't even get me started on colour, it sometimes frustrates the hell out of me! You are doing a great job as far as I can see though.

Great job on the latest by the way. It's looking awesome from what I can see. Scary stuff, man.
    Ha thanks. I can't remember the last time I had this much fun drawing!

All the best.

Rose:

Cheers
    Boxy