ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Warrior sketch-lil advice plz

Cool Warrior sketch-lil advice plz

here is my first rough sketch using artrage. i was wondering if you guys could help me out a lil by critiqueing his stance,anatomy, and just anything in general to make this come to life. Also i would like to figure out away to make him more commading you know. Just want to get this right before i go any further.

-thanks guys
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	soldiersketchblr.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	102.2 KB 
ID:	28455  

stance

is he going to be alone in the picture? If so, maybe widen his stance a little and slightly bend the knees. As it looks right now, he appears to be in front of a large army, preparing to start a charge. Very good start. Can't wait to see the progress!

yes atm its just going to be him and a background. maybe hes producing some type of power or something getting ready for a big move. this is the idea for now.

Much better than I could draw a figure anyway. I think having his right arm behind him is a little strange and not very dominating, maybe have it just normal, or even sticking his hand out(although) maybe you don't want that, I think it looks great as is. Did you just use the pencil tool for this? Very clean lines.

yes i just used the pencil tool. i suck at drawing hands so i just hid his right arm lol. i also thought it made him look sort of royal or in control but i do see what you mean . Plus i need to stop hiding from my lack of skill.

Hi chambersecrets,
    You have a good start there.
    Maybe find some reference for the hand/arm in a pose that suits.
    Another thing you could do is give him a shield,you may have to rework his pose.His pose is a little front on,maybe think of different camera angles and body positions in relation to the viewer.To get ideas watch some Fantasy movies or comics for inspiration.Hope that is of some help?

Chambersecrets, I would widen the stance just a touch. You could as SCP said give him a shield or maybe a 'cape' covering the right arm coming from the shoulder.

As far as the commanding look, that would happen mostly in the face. Have his chin up a bit, kind of looking down on the viewer. Also, put stick that chest out a bit. As I used to teach my soldiers, it's in the eyes and chest. If you poke your chest out a bit and lift your chin people tend to think you are someone. If you walk around slouching you're nobody. See?

Just my 2 cents.

Great start.
    J. Little
    I'm no artist, just a junkie with a pencil...
    --------------------------------------------------
    You can check out my photography on...
    http://www.anganjohnphoto.com
    ---------------------------------------------------