ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Project number two.

Project number two.

OK. Mad time at work is over for the weekend, so now it's time to have another go at producing something. Once again the net provides the inspiration and it's Mr Shatner's turn to have his image abused in the name of educational progress.

As always this is more about seeing what the software can do as the real reason for trying this is to see how easy it is to learn and, consequently, teach to IT students

OK lessons learned from the previous project. This time I've started with a much bigger canvas so the pencil strokes won't look so broad. The tracing function is wonderful and saves a lot of time preparing for the fun stuff.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shatner2.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	28364  

WOW! I'm speechless. I've always been awful at judging colour, especially skin tones and most of my previous attempts have ended in cartoonish looking disasters. Initially I thought I'd try the pencil colours, but that didn't really work out for me, so I considered using the chalks. Not my cup of tea really. So I finally took the plunge with the oil brush.

I thought I'd give the 'pick colours from tracing image' a quick whirl. A couple of abortive attempts later (thank god for ctrl-z ) and I think it was starting to look better. I'm no real artist, but from reading on these forums, I noticed a lot of you start by blocking in the colour and working from there.

This probably isn't quite what you had in mind but it looks much better than anything I could do without a lot of practice. I would love to go that way, but time is a luxury I don't really have at the moment. And of course, as I said initially, I'm here to learn how to use the software and if the tool is there, then I'm going to use it

So two screenshots - one with the tracing image visible and one without. As always any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Name:	Shatner3.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	106.4 KB 
ID:	28372   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shatner1.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	105.9 KB 
ID:	28373  

Houston... we got hair

I really, really lurve this program. I'm just having so much fun and I fail to see how the students won't have the same experience.

Didi I mention I love this program

Name:	Shatner4.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	113.4 KB 
ID:	28376  

Eyes!!!

one eye then the other.

Name:	Shatner5.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	146.2 KB 
ID:	28380   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shatner6.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	146.9 KB 
ID:	28381  

Nearly there. I'm going to leave the background out this time and go with this.

Name:	Shatner7.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	133.3 KB 
ID:	28382  

OK. Tweaked a few bits here and there. Darkened the lips a little and smoothed out around the eyes just a touch.

That's as far as I'm going to go with this one.

Name:	Shatner8.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	142.3 KB 
ID:	28383  

Bravo! What wonderful work you have done on Mr. Shatner's portrait. Love the step by step process. Mr. Shatner would be proud...!!!

Very nice...I liked the step by step....well done..