ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Modernized Classic Art: A Challenge

Gallery
    View images

Modernized Classic Art: A Challenge

Hi all, I was cruising through some public domain images early this morning for some angel art and found not only a lot of that sort, but ran across an artist who alters older artwork, adding her own interpretation to it. I found her art amazing and the concept so intriguing I had to give it a try. So, here is my first attempt. I created a background, altered the image itself, embellished it with stencils, and gave it a border. UPDATE: Hey guys, I found the image I originally worked with was not public domain! I was clicking between images so links so fast I lost track, but I went back later tonight and double-checked. So glad I did! I decided to choose another image to work into the same background and so forth that I created for the first one. I kind of think the first one worked better, but one thing is for certain, I don't want to use anything that belongs to someone else. Besides, this one is really cute. Anyhoo, here it my final result, with a copy of the uploaded image I used below it. At least you can get the idea from this. I can't wait to see what some of you are going to do with it! I got the cute little cherub image here

Here is a few more links to classical images. Some of them are listed as "public domain" and others can be purchased in the area of ninety-nine cents to around five dollars or so.

Vintage Resources here

Vintage Art Download here

Karen Whimsy here

Enjoy!

Blessings, Cathy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Angel14, frstgrnbrdr.JPG 
Views:	133 
Size:	308.2 KB 
ID:	28291  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by cathyd; 06-16-2009 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Added new links for public domain classical images
    My Gallery here

MY MUSIC FREE DOWNLOADS here

FACEBOOK here

Gallery
    View images
    Nice work and a great idea cathyd

Gallery
    View images

Thanks!

Thanks a bunch SCP. Your comments are so encouraging!
    My Gallery here

FACEBOOK here

Gallery
    View images
    Cathy...this is just so beautiful and unique! I really like this! You've really mastered the stencil work that's for sure. All I can say now is....more, more, more!!!

Gallery
    View images

Thanks!

Thanks so much Leen, You're so sweet to cheer me on! Love and blessings to you, Cathy
    My Gallery here

FACEBOOK here

irishrose Guest
    This is great Cathy!!!! I went to Books A Million today and there are tons of magazines on stamping and collage.. and this is all the rage these days.. you did an awesome job... I have seen some of these as ATC's or ACEO's on Ebay.. you could sell these as little pieces of art!

Gallery
    View images

Wow!

Wow! I didn't know about that, Irishrose. I mean the Ebay thing as a channel for this artwork and all. What do the initials stand for? I didn't know there was a name for them. Hmmmm! Now I'm curious. And thanks a lot for the lovely comment. I've been interested in collage for some time. I'll be waiting to see what you post when you get into these things. I wouldn't mind a little tip about those magazines too. Thanks again girlie. Love and blessings, Cathy
    Last edited by cathyd; 05-28-2009 at 01:56 PM.
    My Gallery here

FACEBOOK here

irishrose Guest
    Cathy, thanks for asking..

ATC - Artist Trading Card (normally traded)

ACEO - Art Card Editions and Originals (usually sold)

Size constraints are 2.5" x 3.5". Tiny little works of art.. they are all over Ebay, and Etsy.

Gosh, I couldn't even tell you the names of the mags... I couldn't afford buying them (I would have bought them all)... but they are in the craft section at Books A Million

Gallery
    View images

Thanks!

Thanks bunches. I hate to ask more questions, but what is an Artist Trading Card and that other thing? Guess I need to check out EBay, huh? And hey, I can look up some mags online too.
    Last edited by cathyd; 05-28-2009 at 02:02 PM.
    My Gallery here

FACEBOOK here

irishrose Guest
    Ask away!!! They are tiny cards, have to be a certain size (the 2.5 x 3.5 inches) and sold for lots of money (many people make and sell them on Ebay). They can be done in many different styles.. watercolor, acrylic, collage, pencil, etc. Just have to be the right size. Many people take old playing cards, gesso them and paint over them. They actually have trading card sleeves for them to display them ... or to put into a book if you like. I have many.. but most of mine were traded, not bought. I have done many projects on WetCanvas where we trade with people all over the world. I usually try to do a theme. It's SOOO fun!

Oh, and on Ebay there is a whole section of supplies for ACEO's.. Just look up ACEO. It's a growing art, and it has just taken off in the last few years.