ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: A couple of paper grains to offer to the community

A couple of paper grains to offer to the community

In the thought that sometimes paper and canvas (and even foil) get a bit limiting, I've created stucco and brick paper grains that I'd like to offer up. I've attached a quick demo jpeg of each here, and the grain and canvas files can be grabbed from my dotnac file sharing site at http://homepage.mac.com/georgevw/.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stuccosample_263.jpg 
Views:	653 
Size:	125.7 KB 
ID:	2663   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bricksample_517.jpg 
Views:	558 
Size:	151.6 KB 
ID:	2664  

Thanks, GvDub!

I find that they work better as grain. The canvas presets (.cpr) seem almost identical to each other and characterless when applied (just a generic tooth), and neither seem to resemble the grain pics (.png)

As grain it holds the unique character of the texture just fine.

I haven't really used canvas presets. So the problem with my results may be me.

Thanks again!

BTW, that's roller (aqua), chalk (yellow), airbrush (burnt rose), and brush (orangey), just to show how they behave with different tools.

D Akey: that may be because I goofed when saving the paper presets (I'm still getting used to the program), rather than anything else. The grains are the important thing, as anyone can make their own paper presets from those.

Hi Everyone,
    Can you tell what folder I should put the bricks and stucco in? I am not yet familiar with this program.
    Thank you
    Jancy

Hi Jancy,
    it's in:

ArtRage2/Resources/Grains

Once in that folder, you would usually call it into being when you start a new canvas. It's the circle on the left at the bottom. Click on it and 'Load a file'.

It should appear as a loadable when it opens that folder.

And you can adjust the amount of grain using the settings in the adjacent circles like roughness, scale, opacity and so on.

It doesn't hurt to have the grain image that you put into the folder reveresed where black is white and whie black. Depending on the color you're rubbing on, the image sometimes appears as a negative. So making it a negative first makes it positive on your painting. You may want to keep both positive and negative versions in that grains folder to save future steps.

Thanks for your help. I'll give it a try!
    Jancy