ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coming of Age

Coming of Age

Hi guys, had a nice idea for a painting today to test my (hopefully growing) AR skills - it's going to be a fantasy art painting of a young sorceress discovering power for the first time, sort of like a coming of age for talented people.

Photo reference (from Image Bank) traced. Haven't got much done so far, just sketch and colour blocking - will post more as it develops.

Quick question: I used a small oil brush to lay down base colour for the skin and hair and then tried using the knife to blend it in a bit, but i fear the knife work has flattened the colour too much rather than blending. I'm new to this, what is a good/effective way to blend properly? Cheers

Post more tomorrow hopefully
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Maybe i'll catch fire...

Hi JamieB,I like the theme for your painting.I'm not an expert at painting but I know you can fall into the trap of blending too much that will flatten your image.The use of colours next to each other is the clue.
    Other ways to blend is you can set your Brush to 0% "Load" that will then blend.Also maybe work from larger brush to block in.Airbrush can also be used to blend and then use normal brush for harder edges.
    Hope that is some food for thought? Main advice is paint and paint.. and paint some more.That is the only way to improve, by doing.

Here is an update - i re-did much of the previous skin tones using the airbrush rather than the knife... found it very difficult but i think i'm getting there!

Fire and glow effect (and background) added in quickly as temporary placeholder type concepts... will re-do once the girl is finished.
    Maybe i'll catch fire...

Hey JamieB, that's a great painting! Looking forward to seeing the final edition.
    WARNING: ArtRage can cause serious loss of time, and excessive smiling! Use with care! Frequently!

“All creativity is an extended form of a joke.” – Alan Kay

looks like its developing nicely

Looks like a beauty in the making.

WOW!!! amazing!!
    //
    Stefano Fiore - Rome/Italy (Misterpaint)
    // Tablet Wacom Intuos 4 Medium- XP SP3
    // My Portfolio: http://www.stefanofiorearte.com
    // 3D Art Gallery for all artists (my web project) http://www.grifioartgallery.com

It's coming along... still need to work on the hands, maybe add some detail to the clothing. Other than that i want to re-do the flame and then sort out the lighting and shadows. Getting there though!

Still using the mouse for this one - figured i'd go all mouse for this and use my new wacom for next project rather than switching half way through..
    Maybe i'll catch fire...

Looking good JamieB.
    Maybe consider the green flames effect on lighting ,highlights and skintone,her skin would pick up some green tint from the flame.
    All the best ,
    Scott.

Think i've finished this now... not 100% happy with the lighting in the end but proud anyway as it's pretty much my first tr!

I'll post the final in the gallery

Cheers
    Maybe i'll catch fire...