Thread: Artistically gorgeous web-comic

Gallery
    View images

Artistically gorgeous web-comic

Sorry, not really ArtRage related, but most likely interesting for those who like comics and competent, contemporary art.

Long ago (in internet time) I thoroughly enjoyed the web-comic "A Lesson is Learned, but the Damage is Irreversible". It went into what appears to be a permanent hiatus, and so its blend of incredible art and gnomic utterances seemed gone forever (well, there's still everything they did in the archives, but there won't be new stuff).

However, "The Secret Knots" mines an amazingly similar artistic vein... worth a look, for those who enjoy such things. It uses a more limited palette, visually, and goes in a bit less for humor, aiming instead for insight, I think.
    WARNING: ArtRage can cause serious loss of time, and excessive smiling! Use with care! Frequently!

“All creativity is an extended form of a joke.” – Alan Kay

Gallery
    View images
    I found both those sites were artistically great to look at. Thanks for sharing those. You can learn a lot about composition and color from looking at comics.
    There were some really unique viewpoints in them...ie focal points. A bit bizarre on the subject material, but the art was great to look at.

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by gzairborne View Post
    here were some really unique viewpoints in them...ie focal points. A bit bizarre on the subject material, but the art was great to look at.
    Thanks for mentioning that... I forgot! Yeah, they're a little on the weird side...
    WARNING: ArtRage can cause serious loss of time, and excessive smiling! Use with care! Frequently!

Gallery
    View images

Nice!

Hey those are very nice indeed! I'm in love with webcomics and I do admit that I enjoy the ones that are more technically proficient, like the ones you linked to.

If you like web comics I highly recomend The Perry Bible Fellowship (it's pbfcomics . com the forum won't let me post links) It's visually gorgeous although not in a conventional style, really unique artmanship. It's won every major comic award, Ignatz, Web Cartoonist, Eisner Awards you name it. Be forewarned though: most are extremely weird and they are most certainly not suited for kids. Some are even downright disturbing.

Gallery
    View images
    http://pbfcomics.com/
    I didn't find any really disturbing ones, but they were funny.

Gallery
    View images

Gallery
    View images
    Hey Flynn, thanks for the links. Haven't read Girly, Earthsong or Fey Winds, but I've read all the others. Once proposed "Order of the Stick" as great art, and then ducked and ran for cover :-)

Some I should mention:

Lackadaisy -- possibly the best art of any comic on the web (and I've read a *lot* of web-comics). She gets such amazing intention out of those faces...! Be sure to look at the gallery... her color work is even more impressive, amazingly, than her black and white. Quite an intense story, too.

The 10k Commotion -- a close second. Such a nice sketchy, watercolor style... she went on hiatus with the comic for a while because her laptop died, taking her painting program (don't know which one) and all her custom brushes with it. When she got her new one, she could only get a newer version of the painting program... which didn't work the same way with watercolors! She had to figure out all over how to do her own style. Ouch. But she pulled it through.

Kukuburi -- much more of a illustrative style, which fits, since Ramon is an illustrator for a living. Great story, awesome art.

Finally, Gunnerkrigg Court. Also more of a traditional, illustrative style. Intriguing story.

Wikipedia estimates that there are something like 18,000 web-comics out there... this is obviously the tip of the iceberg, but it's the tip with the best art :-) IMHO.

Gallery
    View images
    ...please don't let me have forgotten to add Gunnerkrigg O_o The rest of those I will check out