ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: A new idea for Artrage-need feedback

A new idea for Artrage-need feedback

My book for Aaron thread was a great success in many ways, and it begs the question of how it could somehow be repeatable for other people on this site to do a similar thing for someone they know.
    There are too many sick folks around I think that we can't all be full time making custom paintings and signing them for each one. So I am thinking of a different approach, and want to get some input.
    This came up when a guy recently PMed me, named Justin, asking if he could use my format to provide his Grandmother with a similar gift. I told him of course I didn't mind, but I thought it might be better to set up a permanent file of donated paintings from those of us here, signed "Get well, from Peter ( France)" ( for example) and these could be used by anyone for that purpose.
    I know in my own case, my great Nephew Zak, 12 years old, is dying from Muscular Dystrophy, but I would not want to ask the group again for the same outpouring Aaron got the first time. I could easily download a lot of "ready to go" get well paintings/wishes from all of us and send them to him after printing them out. ( Or posting them on a personal website).
    Though a little less personal with out the recipients name and personalized note, it is still I think a nice gift.
    Any one with input on how we could do this as a permanent feature?
    "If I could only learn to be humble, I would be so proud." Author Unknown.

Hi Rob,

My uncle is suffering a form of brain cancer, which is part of the reason I participated in your original thread for Aaron. So I can see how something like this could really help those people out there who would like to put together a book such as the one you set up for Aaron.

That being said, I'm afraid I don't have much mind for legalities, so I don't know how one would properly go about a project which would rightfully allow others to download and use an image without having to worry about the consequences (part of the reason I don't upload my images to Deviant Art, lol). Though, I can say it might be a good idea to have the posters copy and past a statement found in the first post, which would stand as a sort of signature of acceptance for giving others the right to use the images they are posting within that particular thread alone. It should also be stated that they should be used only for the purpose in these projects, like Aarons, rather then monetary gain reasons.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Good points. Something to consider for sure. The thought crossed my mind that if someone wanted to do a book, it could have a file, but somehow the artist who contributed the piece could "sign" it on request. However, this could be a bother if there were a lot of them. And there are a lot of sick people. You could reach sympathy/compassion overload pretty quick. It needs to be simple if it is done.
    I for one have no problem with putting a generic photo out there with my scribbling on it, " From Artrage artist, ect--) hard to see how anyone could profit from such a thing, but I am probably too careless.
    Last edited by Rob in Denver; 05-23-2009 at 04:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob in Denver View Post
    I for one have no problem with putting a generic photo out there with my scribbling on it, " From Artrage artist, ect--) hard to see how anyone could profit from such a thing, but I am probably too careless.
    You might be surprised. I've read a story where a person posted some pretty low res images online to promote some event or another and later found one of their images used as a T-Shirt. The image (an abstract) was simply saved from the site and used as a print. The person who took the image apparently didn't even make any changes the image before using it. It was just a straight copy and paste and send to the screen printer to make T-Shirts for profit.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Rob, I think this is a great idea. I think (but I don't know that much about copyright law, and frankly from my personal opinion don't really care) but wouldn't it be alright if we just chose a pic and place it under Creative Commons??? That way it's there for everyone to use for non-profit gift books and such.

I know some people don't like it, and are very protective about their works. I always put my paintings out under CC (so that said, feel free to use them, I only ask for credit), I'm not paranoid about anyone taking my works, I'd actually be really stoked to see it on t-shirts and such........ but again that's me! I do understand that no everyone can view it so easy.
    do check my art work out @
    mashalevene.carbonmade.com
    and prints @
    mashalevene.smugmug.com

Really, anyone who posts anything on the web risk it being taken. If you post here, its dead easy to take it.
    I am thinking ( I don't know really) that this guy Justin who PMed me yesterday is maybe pretty young, and just wants to do a nice thing. A refreshing attitude in this world really. If there is a way to do this so that he and others can utilize the talents here, the way I did for Aaron, that would be great. Without everyone making custom paintings for everyone out there who is ill.

I, too, think this is a great idea! I would very much like to participate in anyway that I can. I am a big lame-o about any of the copyright concerns and I have no qualms in regards to any of my works, that's for sure! All I know is if our paintings can enlighten anyone in anyway, I am totally on board especially since it is for such a great cause!!!

Hopefully, you can get more responses from the rest of the forum. I am not sure how many people actually come into this General Chat forum in order to get the word out to everyone.

Rob, hi, I do understand the risks but with my heart toward the greater good I'm ready, willing, and able to make a generic get well available to anyone that needs it. Does it make sense to start a flicker group, explaining the premise? I bet word of mouth would add pages quickly. And it might make it easier for those needing the get wells to kind of gather things on their own to suit their loved ones needs. Hmm maybe a birthday page too! At least people contributing would know the potential risk. I like Flickr a lot and trust many of the people there.

Thanks for asking, let me know if and when you need something
    Susan Murtaugh satisfied user (ArtRage)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/suzi54241/

You know, I am doing an about face on all this. Maybe if WOULD be a good idea to have a generic pool of paintings like we have been talking about, but my wife Lisa said that maybe I am assuming no one wants to do this again, and maybe I am wrong. ( I have been wrong before come to think of it).
    So, now I think Justin should just post his request and whoever wants to contribute should. This is a great, and kind group and I should know not to underestimate what the members here might be willing to do.
    I will be working with Justin over the next day or so, ( he seems like a great kid) to help him post his request.
    After giving it some thought, he has decided his grandmother has enough support, particularly since he knows a little girl with Kidney disease who seems to have none. He thinks it is a better idea to do something for her.
    I don't know about anyone else, but I think I am in.

I like both ideas. No reason to ever restrict anyone from making a request, people will respond as they are moved. However, it's true there is a limit to how many individual requests people can support.

In that light, the repository is a wonderful idea. Wherever the repository resides it can have a disclaimer that says the art posted is for the specific purposes intended and any sale of works for profit without permission of the artist is prohibited (etc.) It doesn't prevent being ripped off (nothing does), but it provides the normal legal necessities that support anyone going after a thief. The only weakness I see with the respository is how to make it personal which is the clear beauty of responding to an individual request. It might take a little thinking through, but the basic idea is lovely.
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4