Thread: Julie Cox portrait...

Julie Cox portrait...

Dear members,

I here start a portrait of Julie Cox, a british actress I love...
    I am working here with a reference photo which is a wallpaper from Frank Herbert's Children of Dune movie... but everything is drawn without tracing cause I won't be able to consider it done by me in the end...

It will be a work in progress and in the same time exposed to your criticism due to the fact that I am really new to these oil techniques... and because I want to make it the best I could, the best drawing/painting I have ever made till now...

Please enjoy such as criticize it or me, and in advance a enormous thank you to you all, who have passed some time looking at it

Cheers

Pedro
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	julie pencil from artrage window.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	334.5 KB 
ID:	28010  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Julie pencil.JPG 
Views:	109 
Size:	224.5 KB 
ID:	28011  

Name:	julie colour.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	407.4 KB 
ID:	28012  

Name:	Julie hybrid paint and pencil.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	478.2 KB 
ID:	28013  

...Life is a rainbow born from both rain and sun in order to show us its bright colors... Life is like that too from rain to sunshine... and at the end a bright colorful path you've walked on...

Gallery
    View images
    I think that those bigger lips from sketch are better great colours - I'mwaiting for other steps, because now it's hard to tell you anything about this drawing

Gallery
    View images
    Looking pretty good so far, I'll be waiting for the next step..

Very Nice

I am a self taught artist and I really like how you show the steps that you are taking and not just the final pic. I am eager to learn and your post has been very helpful.

Hi again all and a great thank you to yours answers and advice...

As you could have figured, and as I say I used oil... well the technique is appearing a bit strange to me... paint tube and then a lot of knife... and then the problem... when applying for example a darker tone on a bright one, when applying the knife it does not react as I wanted to

sometimes stroking from right to left the dark one impresses on the bright... sometimes doing the same it is the contrary... the bright one quite erases the dark one...

Well I tried today to advance it a bit but then I felt a lack of inspiration, or maybe the heart not at it with this technique... then I tried a variation of the technique, chalk and knife.... which is quite the technique I used to work with at work with dry pastel and cotton pads (and acétone too )

and here is a quick result...

so which technique do you prefer ? which version you love the most.... the first one ? oil and knife or the second one ? chalk and knife...

let me know how you prefer it friends and one more time thank you

Pedro
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Julie hybrid paint and pencil.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	478.2 KB 
ID:	28044  

Name:	Julie hybrid paint and pencil other technique.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	431.6 KB 
ID:	28045  

...Life is a rainbow born from both rain and sun in order to show us its bright colors... Life is like that too from rain to sunshine... and at the end a bright colorful path you've walked on...