ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Hello, i'm new, and i have a question...

Question Hello, i'm new, and i have a question...

Hi all, i just signed up here today. I'm 25 and i work in book publishing (editorial NOT design, unfortunately) - i downloaded ArtRage at the weekend on the advice of one of our authors - and i'm very impressed! I can't actually do art in the physical sense, in the real world, but i've always loved digital art and think i have a knack for software.

Anyway, i did the rose tutorial from the ArtRage website and then started something else but tonight i just lost 5 hours doing a random painting that evolved from a doodle test. I consider it my first proper attempt at a painting. It's very late now!

I called the piece 'Contrails' and i made 6 copies, each with different blend settings on the upper layer. I can't decide which one I like.

My question is this: I initially made quite a pink background for this, and then tried the 'Bumble sky' method (posted here on the forum somewhere) to make a cloud layer above. I'm pleased with the way it turned out but i'm not too keen on the pink shining through the middle... is there anyway i could re-colour this to, say, a tan/ochre colour without losing the shading and textures, and without altering the blended layer above it? I doubt it but thought i'd ask. Anyway, comments welcome, hi y'all, etc.. i'm off to bed!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Contrails with Shadow blend.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	27936   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Contrails doubled with Darken blend.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	27937   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Contrails doubled with Linear Light blend.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	27938  

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by JamieB View Post
    My question is this: I initially made quite a pink background for this, and then tried the 'Bumble sky' method (posted here on the forum somewhere) to make a cloud layer above. I'm pleased with the way it turned out but i'm not too keen on the pink shining through the middle... is there anyway i could re-colour this to, say, a tan/ochre colour without losing the shading and textures, and without altering the blended layer above it? I doubt it but thought i'd ask. Anyway, comments welcome, hi y'all, etc.. i'm off to bed!
    Welcome to the ARage site JamieB,

You are off to good start with your images. I'm not sure if you're using the Starter Edition of AR (the trial version) or ArtRage 2.5, so this tip may or may not work for you. Anyhow, if you're using ArtRage 2.5, try the following:

1 - Create a new layer over the layer you painted on. Do this by clicking on the "add layer" tab on the bottom of the layer panel.

Name:  s1.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  14.9 KB

2 - Click on the gray arrow next to the new layer (A) and on the menu that opens, click on the "Blend" tab (B).

Name:  s2.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  27.5 KB

3 - On the menu that appears, highlight "More blend modes" (A) and choose "color" from the list (B). If you've ever used Photoshop, these option may be familiar to you.

Name:  s3.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  41.4 KB

4 - Select the new color you wish to use and start coloring on the new layer (I'd probably use the airbrush tool for this). If everything is working correctly, your base layer should be tinted over with the new color, while keeping the textures and shading tones intact.

(EDIT) - As an example of this, I have changed the color of the green ball study below, from green to red.

Name:  b2.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  5.7 KB Name:  b1.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  5.8 KB
    Last edited by Someonesane; 05-20-2009 at 03:40 AM.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

excellent, thanks for the very detailed response! that's a handy trick to know

Gallery
    View images
    Yes thank you lol I just learned something new also.

Gallery
    View images
    Jamie, love your first real effort - certainly you've got a nack for design and a keen esthetic sense - terrific first AR effort, that's for sure. Wonderful.

Someonesane: excellent demo. Thanks for posting.
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4