ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I bought a Netbook

I bought a Netbook

... a copy and paste of an email I sent to my daughter on the topic ...

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-AOA110-15...2617373&sr=1-7

This is the one we got. Has a web cam, 1 Gig of RAM, 3 USB connection slots, SD and multi-card slots, audio and mic connectors, Ethernet connector plus built in WiFi, and a 160 Gig hard drive. We paid $299 at Staples. That's about $2000 less than the first PC I bought in 1995 which had a CD player, mic and audio connectors, a 320 Meg hard drive, and none of the other stuff. (Mostly because they hadn't even been invented yet.)

The pros are the size and weight, the quality of the screen image, and the fact that you can actually use it as a laptop for 3 hours without burning your thighs.

The cons are almost not worth mentioning: The keyboard is, of course, a little smaller than you're used to and the screen height a little short comparatively.

Still...

Talk about bang for the buck! This is a fast, full-fledged, Windows XP machine minus only a DVD drive that can even be connected to a full sized monitor. It's as close to a no-brainer as I've seen in a long time.

Tell us how AR works

I am thinking of getting the one with the 6-cell battery for longer working time, and the 10 inch screen.

Please let us know how well AR works on your netbook. The answer could very well change my mind. (or confirm my wish to buy one)

The netbook excedes the min specs for AR so I would think speed won't be a problem, but I am curious about the small monitor.

I haven't yet installed AR so I can't speak directly to your Q. At 8.9" my max screen resolution is 1024 X 600 if that helps.

Dear Robert, color me green!!! and can you believe that price???!!! so get crackin', let us know how it is with AR,,, am waiting for one that has it all, phone and internet wireless included, will pay when my lottery ticket hits or the price is right, around $150!

Robert, specs on line say16GB not 160 GB storage??? Am interested in one for my wife - are you sure 160GB storage????

Thanks,
    Byron
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

That's odd. It does say that online and that was what I thought I read on the product description card in the store. But when I go to My Computer - right click on C - Properties it says 153,755,156,480 and 143 Gig for Capacity.
    ---
    Edit
    ---
    Ok, just went here
    http://www.acer.com/aspireone/aspireone_8_9/
    and it says 120 Gig. Curiouser and curiouser.
    ---
    Edit
    ---
    Now this from Wikipedia:
    "Hard disks
    The HDD is a regular 2.5-in 5400 rpm SATA drive with 120 or 160 GB. Five different drives have been reported so far: Seagate ST9120817AS, Western Digital WD1200BEVS, WD1600BEVT, Hitachi HTS543212L9A300, and Toshiba MK1652G"
    Last edited by RobertSWade; 05-20-2009 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertSWade View Post
    That's odd. It does say that online and that was what I thought I read on the product description card in the store. But when I go to My Computer - right click on C - Properties it says 153,755,156,480 and 143 Gig for Capacity.
    ---
    Edit
    ---
    Ok, just went here
    http://www.acer.com/aspireone/aspireone_8_9/
    and it says 120 Gig. Curiouser and curiouser.
    ---
    Edit
    ---
    Now this from Wikipedia:
    "Hard disks
    The HDD is a regular 2.5-in 5400 rpm SATA drive with 120 or 160 GB. Five different drives have been reported so far: Seagate ST9120817AS, Western Digital WD1200BEVS, WD1600BEVT, Hitachi HTS543212L9A300, and Toshiba MK1652G"
    Hmmm. That's a hoot, no matter how you cut it.

I'm guessing there's several configurations out there at different prices - for example what you got at Staples is a different configuration than the one they're offering at Amazon - and the prices are slightly different (just guessing.)

Good that you got the bigger drive. 16GB wouldn't quite cut it these days. Thanks for getting back - let's me know I just need to do my homework with whoever I purchase from.

Best of luck with your machine - it seems a pretty snazzy little wonder.
    //

Snazzy ... definately! I like it more the more I use it.
    What's a real "hoot" is that Staples apparently thinks they're selling a 16G machine and when you get it home and unwrapped it's ten times bigger. I'll have to stop in there tomorrow and educate them. lol
    At the moment, I have it hooked up to my surround sound and playing one of my Pandora.com stations. Between it and my laptop, I'm hardly using my desktop anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertSWade View Post
    Snazzy ... definately! I like it more the more I use it.
    What's a real "hoot" is that Staples apparently thinks they're selling a 16G machine and when you get it home and unwrapped it's ten times bigger. I'll have to stop in there tomorrow and educate them. lol
    At the moment, I have it hooked up to my surround sound and playing one of my Pandora.com stations. Between it and my laptop, I'm hardly using my desktop anymore.
    Wonderful Robert. Sounds to me like you won the lottery
    I'm thinking of buying, hoping I get a winning ticket too.
    - best, Byron
    //

16GB vs 160GB

The netbooks with 16GB have solid-state drives (SSD), which although may be more energy-efficient, are slower on small read-write operations. None of the operating systems are optimized for SSDs, which because they have turned out to be a bottle-neck, are losing favor quickly over the less-expensive and larger capacity hard drives with moving parts.

With Windows 7 using about 6 to 8GB on install, and it being positioned as THE netbook OS (unless Moblin really delivers), not many are turned on by having a 16GB SSD.