ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Colors and Pickers

Colors and Pickers

I uploaded some color palettes from MisterPaint and others for the color picker, and some canvases and grains. The formats are in ".col" and "cpr." I use a Mac and went into "Library," then "Applications Support," then into "ArtRage 2" and posted the colors into the "Picker" folder after I placed them in the colors folder since they did not work. I can't get them to work in the "Picker" folder either. For the canvases I placed them in the "Canvases" folder. These aren't working either. And I did not see a folder for "Grains." Thanks a lot for your help!
    My Gallery here

MY MUSIC FREE DOWNLOADS here

FACEBOOK here

Hi cathyd, I'm a mac user too... here's part of the puzzle. I put the great Oil Paints .col file in the 'Colors' folder under Application Support/Art Rage 2/Resources. Then I brought up the 'Color Samples' window (hit the 'S' key). It has a little triangle menu of its own in its upper-left-hand corner. Click that, choose 'Load Colors...' and it shows the 'Colors' folder mentioned above.
    WARNING: ArtRage can cause serious loss of time, and excessive smiling! Use with care! Frequently!

“All creativity is an extended form of a joke.” – Alan Kay

Thanks!

Thanks so much yachris. I'll give it a whirl!
    My Gallery here

FACEBOOK here

Two More Questions

Hi yachris, It worked! Gee. Thanks!

I have two more questions for this thread:

#1> I have some canvas presets by MisterPaint. I placed them in the canvases folder by the same method we described in the above posts. They are ".cpr" files. I went into ArtRage under "edit paper settings" on the layer panel and clicked on "Make a New Preset." They showed up in the window, but they were not highlighted and I could not load them up.

#2> I have some other colors by MisterPaint, which are ".jpg" files. I tried loading them in the color samples panel like I did the ones we discussed in the above posts. But they won't load up. I also tried loading them under "New Painting" and then under "Grains" in the circular window, but they would not load there either.

Thanks for your help,

Cathy
    Last edited by cathyd; 05-18-2009 at 12:31 PM.
    My Gallery here

FACEBOOK here

Hi Cathy,

1/ 'Make a new preset' does not load canvas preset files. When you click 'Make a new preset' it allows you to save your current settings as a new preset. CPR files aren't really a portable canvas preset format, as they rely on canvas grain files which are separate. CPR files are basically a collection of canvas settings and a reference to an external canvas grain file. They should be placed in \resources\presets\canvases.

There should be instructions in the thread about where the separate canvas grain files go, but if you're unsure you can post the address of the thread here so we can help.

2/ jpg files are not colour sets so can't be loaded into the colours panel. ArtRage's colour sets use a their own format ( .col ).

jpg and other image files can be used as custom colour pickers however ( colour picker menu -> Load custom colour picker -> Browse to the image file and open it )

This thread also may be handy as a starting guide to downloading and using ArtRage resources: http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ad.php?t=18574
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Thread Links for My Post Above

Hi Dave,

I was able to load the "Copic Marker Set," and so on according to "yachris'" instructions.

And I did refer to the thread you mentioned but the items in my last post, still did not load. The "canvases" are in the folder you mentioned above and still will not load. Here is the link: http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ad.php?t=14264

The other item, "My Personal Custom Paint Pickers," by MisterPaint still will not load either. This is the link: http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ad.php?t=14335

Thanks again,

Cathy
    My Gallery here

FACEBOOK here

Regarding the canvas presets: They contain references to grain files that won't exist in the location you have them so the best solution here is not to use the presets. Just place the grains in the Resources/Grains folder and you can then use those in your own presets when you edit your canvas settings. The manual contains instructions on how to do that.

Now, regarding the custom colours:

The JPEG files in that thread aren't colour samples, they are Custom Colour Pickers so you can't load them in the colour samples panel. To load one, use the menu in the colour picker and select 'Custom Picker/Load Custom Picker...', you can then select the file and it will load in as a colour picker. There is more information on this in the manual.

If you want those custom pickers to be available in the custom picker menu slots that appear when you select the 'Custom Picker' menu, you will have to place them in the correct folder. In the ArtRage 'Resources\Pickers' folder you should create a new folder with a name that refers to the pickers you are adding, then move the JPEG files in to that folder. The custom pickers will then be available under the Custom Picker menu where you previously used 'Load Custom Picker...'. Further instructions can be found in the 'Custom Color Pickers' section of the manual.

The .col files are colour samples however. To load them, open up the color samples panel and select 'Load Colors...' from the menu in that panel. You can then select .col files and load them.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Thanks!

Thanks a lot Matt for your time and your help. I was able to load the personal paint pickers. Too bad about the canvases, though. Anyhoo, thanks again.
    My Gallery here

FACEBOOK here