Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Applauses or critics

Gallery
    View images

Applauses or critics

In gallery some people dont want critics. Do you want applause or critics? Which you choose?

Gallery
    View images
    My guess is that if people post in the "Critique" board, they want critique. Otherwise, they post in the "Gallery".

Some people want *constructive* criticism... and then they ask (even if it's in the "Gallery" board). I know I have, and I've seen others do it.

PLEASE DON'T insist on giving criticism. Some people really don't want it. Really. And it's not up to you to judge their motives. So don't "help". It's just childish and offensive to push your opinions on someone else's work.

And that's my opinion :-)
    WARNING: ArtRage can cause serious loss of time, and excessive smiling! Use with care! Frequently!

“All creativity is an extended form of a joke.” – Alan Kay

Gallery
    View images
    Applauds or critics? I think it all depends...

From my perspective (and opinion), one of the main reasons why this forum is so successful and so many enjoy it...is for the encouragement we all give to one another about our artwork. We are not only a melting pot of individuals from all over world and cultures but we are all individuals at different levels of artistic ability. There are beginners, who never really pursued drawing or painting until now because of ArtRage. They are now "inspired" and are trying to find their creative side. You'll have those that are intermediate, having some experience and have taken some art classes and have pursued it to some degree with drawing in pencil, color pencils, charcoal, or even possibly some watercolor or oil painting. These individuals never took it to the next level until ArtRage for one reason or another. Then, you have the next level of individuals that have taken this to the next level and are professional artists or have had a lot of experience in the drawing/painting field on a more "personal" level. Regardless of what level each of us are on (or in between), we all need the connection, encouragement, positive feedback and support in our creative endeavors.

With all of this being said (yes, I am long-winded), critique should always be given in a positive light...regardless if they are posting in the Critique forum or ask for feedback/criticism on their posting in the Gallery forum. With critique, you need to be sensitive to the individual's feelings and you never want to squash their attempts but instead help them open their door to their creativity and improve upon their artistic endeavors. So, of course, applauding is always a good thing and it's what we all like to receive but criticism should be given only when asked and even then, being considerate and sensitive about it.

Gallery
    View images
    Hey Viktor, this is a great thread to start because I was very curious about the unwritten rule with that especially when I was new here. Being here a little while now I have started to get to know some of the people that post here, and generally get a feel for those that like positive criticism and those that would rather not get any criticism. If I don't know how they might react, I usually don't give a critique. Critiques, especially for me, can be an extremely helpful learning tool when given as a learning tool! Again, great thread to start!
    "The significance is hiding in the insignificant. Appreciate everything."
    — Eckhart Tolle

Gallery
    View images
    I too am glad you asked. Like Sketch, I'm new too and still trying to get a feel for what's right and wrong. It's interesting to see how people in a forum build a civilization and culture; discussions like this are integral.

Personally, I welcome critism, as long as it's constructive. That being said, I haven't posted anything in the critique section because I haven't been feeling that serious lately. I'm still in the honeymoon phase of ArtRage and re-discovering my creative self.

I've quit forums that have turned too acidic for my taste and sometimes all it takes is one new person to change the climate. Of course, what I found acidic, maybe someone else found sweet? I tend to like my interactions sugar-coated; for straigtforward people, sometimes that extra bit of sweet really gets stuck in their throat.

In the basest sense, seems like the gallery is place to display and the critique forum is a place to learn.
    And thus concludes my ramblings.
    Last edited by foxytocin; 05-16-2009 at 07:38 PM.
    Kind words can be short and easy to speak but their echoes are truly endless. ~Mother Teresa

http://rightbrainedmama.wordpress.com/

and, most especially, my photography at
    http://sweet-harmony-photography.smugmug.com/

http://foxytocin.deviantart.com/

Gallery
    View images
    I would suggest that if you want a lesson in "constructive critique" just take a look at how someone like DAkey approaches it................he ALWAYS does it in a gentlemanly manner and I've accepted his tips and become much better at painting without feeling in the least bit put out by what he's said.

The key word is constructive Victor!
    Da go Te'
    Best to you

Peter............
    Have a listen to or buy my music : http://www.reverbnation.com/playlist...artist_3522106
    and the Aubrey Small website:http://www.aubreysmall.com/
    My Facebook page:https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010972992278

Gallery
    View images
    I've seen a few few critiques here that are just plain rude... There are a lot of different levels of ability here... they all should be treated with respect.

Even when critique is requested. A few harsh words could extinguish a budding talent's enthusiasm... There is a big difference between... 'This is rubbish, practice more!' and something like 'Try working on getting the sky better, try using the knife on the clouds.'

Of all the forums I've seen, this the most social and supportive... I'd like it to stay that way and not degenerate into a place for adolescent slagging off of other people's work, which would be all too easy...

My personal thought is, if I haven't got anything encouraging or constructive to say about someone's work... I don't comment...

And what Peter said!

Gallery
    View images
    Im also new to these forums,but I spend most of my time here
    I think this an easy question Viktor.
    This site has a "Critique" section which is a great idea.I also agree with what fraser_paice wrote,if someone ask for critique and you can help well then sure.I think it is the way people give Critique is the main thing,try to be helpful.Also stay positive,should be no room for Negativity,I really don't think it is that hard to be kind to each other?
    I have said before some of the other forums could learn alot about conduct on forums from the AR Forums.

Scott.

Gallery
    View images
    Dear Victor,, love a good discussion, thank you,, well, you can critique anything i ever post here as once it is out it is out, if it is constructive, as some wonderful people here do, and is helpful,, i will listen, if it is hurtful just to be hurtful, then shame on you, like the other members said, i would post in the Critique section for help, guess i am a little bone-headed, if you like it ok, if you don't, that's ok too,,,it is like asking "does this make me look fat",, a loaded question,,, a solution to the problem better be ready before the reply is made,, best wishes

Gallery
    View images
    It's a fine line and to comment or critique, and how to do it without offense is constantly turning over in my head. I take it seriously and approach it like an art in itself. Sometimes I do it well, and sometimes I fail miserably and insult people when no insult was meant. So I try to refine my interaction, and like an amateur Sherlock Holmes, try to put together from the clues generally where I can open up and when to say nothing.

How I talk to myself: I critique my own work by a pretty high standard. And if I don't do so, I cannot improve and my eye as an artist begins to fail. But I am used to my own critical voice and I understand it serves me. So I tolerate it. It's like brothers in a family can fight sometimes pretty roughly with each other, but if someone from outside the family should fight his brother the same way, all of a sudden that same antagonistic brother becomes his brother's protector. It depends on who is saying it. For you, I'm sure your own inner critic is most direct and even harsh when you are critiquing your own work.

I have learned to not use that voice on the world. And I vary the level of my critiques to match the artist to whom I am offering comment.

I have observed that people are different, as has been noted by people preceding me in this thread. And yet there is something common among all of them that I choose to address -- they all will improve on their own if they hold the joy in what they are doing. Simple. And if part of their joy comes from getting good, they will show an interest in those things, and it can be pretty apparent by reading what they write and looking at what they paint.

Bottom line for me is that I want to support them becoming what those people themselves want to become. And that becoming unfolds on their time line, not mine.

There is always something that stands out in every piece that is good enough to comment on. It could be the colors, the composition, the likeness in a portrait, or simply that they wanted to laugh. I figure that if I emphasize the strengths, it does the same thing as what we usually want to do by criticizing, helps them get stronger as an artist.

Sometimes artists can lose sight of all that they have done because they get wrapped up in problem solving in a certain area. And spotlighting the successes they may not even be aware of consciously, they may then be more able to hang on to and build upon those strengths. It's a different approach -- and it keeps the tone and their energy up, and it shows that every painting can be considered successful on some level. It's letting the artist lead rather than trying to lead them, if you catch my meaning.

I don't know if you are in law enforcement based on your former avatar, but whether or not you are, we can surmise that the needs of law enforcement often calls one to relate in a more authoritarian way. It's a different approach because there are no crimes, although certain art can be considered criminal, but I just said that to get a laugh out of you, because I know where you're coming from. I went to art school. I'm pretty sure you know what I mean.

Anyway, it's never a waste of time empowering people's development at the core. The details will work themselves out if they care about continuing. I want them to want to continue. So I try to help them see more than the landscape they're painting. Hope that makes some sense. That's just how I do it for what it's worth.

It's about the people. Always about the person behind the painting. The painting is merely incidental, and it's then on the artist to get better or not.

Just my approach. Hope it was worth reading my long winded post.
    Last edited by D Akey; 05-17-2009 at 12:36 AM.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream