ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Interaction between different tools and media

Interaction between different tools and media

Newbie here,
    I am still in evaluation mode before I make a purchase.

From what I've seen, the tools and behaviors in AR are spot on for the most part. Has anyone noticed that if you lay down paint first and then try to work pencil over it that it behaves as would in the real world, or does the pencil actually stick to the wet paint?

Also, is there a method of selecting a portion of the painting and moving it to a new layer?

Thanks!
    David

Gallery
    View images
    Hello newbie...welcome to the addictive world of ArtRage!!! I am fairly new myself but I've been playing around with it for almost two months now. I can tell you that pen/pencil over paint does indeed work on the same layer. You may have to use more pressure with the pencil tool if you have to go over thick paint.

I don't believe there is currently any "crop" tool for just a portion of a layer. At least I haven't found it! You can duplicate a layer or copy a layer to the clipboard (to paste into another painting or whatever) but that's about it. From what I do and from what I see from others in this forum, you need to simply draw or paint each subject matter or section of your painting into individual layers. You can then adjust each accordingly especially using the transform option which allows you to actually move, enlarge or reposition for each particular layer. If you have Photoshop, you can crop your painting there and then import the saved image into a new layer of your painting.

I hope this helps somewhat and maybe someone else knows another way of "cropping" a portion of a layer using ArtRage. Good luck!
    Last edited by Eileen724; 05-16-2009 at 09:11 AM.

Gallery
    View images
    You could go to transform layer and increase the size until the undesired parts are cut off (and move around at the same time, obviously!).
    Then go back and shrink it again....

Otherwise, no, you'd have to export that layer and edit it outside of ArtRage (or on it's own as a new painting)

Gallery
    View images
    Hi idrawbooks and welcome...........as it happens I'm doing something at the moment using pencil on paint............it's the rocks on the right at the top........I always paint on one layer so the rest of your question is beyond me I'm afraid. Hope this answers the pencil question though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pencil on paint ex.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	167.3 KB 
ID:	27982  
    Da go Te'
    Best to you

Peter............
    Have a listen to or buy my music : http://www.reverbnation.com/playlist...artist_3522106
    and the Aubrey Small website:http://www.aubreysmall.com/
    My Facebook page:https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010972992278

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by idrawbooks View Post

... is there a method of selecting a portion of the painting and moving it to a new layer?
    The answer is YES (in the full version, I don't know about the evaluation version). This is easier than it seems, after doing a few times it becomes quite easy. Follow these steps:

1. Duplicate the layer where there is a portion you want to move to a new layer. In the duplicated layer;

2. Use stencils and the eraser tool to crop the area. With stencils (rulers, circles, squares, triangles and any other shapes combined with the eraser you can arrive at any shaped portion of the painting you want on the new layer by erasing the surrounding area).

3. When you're satisified with your result, immediately make a stencil of the new layer (use the "Make a Stencil From This Layer" function). (It may help to first make a new layer of the new layer and use black painted in the cropped area to make a completely opaque stencil. It depends on what is left in the cropped area if this matters at all; lots of light or white areas in the remaing section will create a leaky stencil.) (Note: If you've used shape stencils (with no other erasing to make odd shapes), just keep the shape stencils in place rather than make a new stencil from the new layer, and use the "invert stencil" function in the following step.)

4. Now move to the original layer and use the "INVERTED STENCIL" as a guide for the eraser tool to take out from the original layer what you left in the new layer.

The result: the selected section is now in one layer and removed from the original layer. (Note: There may be a white pixel line around the crop do to the extra pixel size of the stencil; this can be eliminated a number of ways such as using the "transform layers" functions and slightly increasing the size of the cropped area in the new layer, or using the soft pallet knife to close the gap.)This isn't quick, but it does work. The first few times it seems cumbersome. But once you get the hang of it it's pretty easy.

This CAN be quite complicated for paintings with many layers, requiring layer grouping to get your result. For paintings with a single layer (or for moving portions of a single layer to a new layer) it's a breeze once you've done it a few times.

Finally, once you've moved a section to a new layer, you can, if you want, use the "Transform Layers" tools to manipulate the "moved" portion around the painting, change it's size, rotate it etc. as een described above. If you want to transform the new layer without it erased out of the original layer, skip steps 3 & 4 above and just perform "transform layers" functions on the new layer with the cropped portion.

Hopefully AR3 will make this easier. But it CAN be done now if you just walk through the above steps.

Hope this helps. (If others have easier ways of doing this, please post.)
    Last edited by byroncallas; 05-21-2009 at 02:06 AM.
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

Gallery
    View images
    I use a similar method to byroncallas I think. My usual steps are as follows:

1 - create a new layer over the layer I plan to cut a section from.

2 - set the new layer to use the "Cell" preset

3 - use the crayon or chalk tool to color over the area I wish to cut out of the layer beneath it (creating a sort of mask).

4 - one I have masked off the area I want to keep, I make a stencil from that layer and invert the stencil once I have created it.

5 - duplicate the layer I plan to cut from.

6 - erase away the area around the stencil.

For a visual of this, I have made video you can download from the follow website: http://www.mediafire.com/file/wzjqe1...utandpaste.wmv

Just click on the "Click here to start download..." link once you're there.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks Bryon! I haven't had the need to crop or cut/paste anything yet so I glad you're able to help on this one!!!

This requires some manipulation to achieve the desired results but I can see this being very helpful since we lack the cropping tool option to making it any easier. This is a great tip Bryon and will be very helpful for those needing its use! This would be a great thread to be moved into the Tips and Tricks forum for future reference for all ArtRagers.

Gallery
    View images
    Someonesane: Yes, our process is pretty close, same idea, some minor variations depending on what you want do with what you've masked. On the whole I think your approach seems a couple of steps quicker for most situations. Your video is excellent.

een is right, the thread would be useful in the "tips.." forum section. It took me forever (well, two months seems like forever) to figure this out on my own. In the end, it turned out to be rather simple.

Again, great video.

Best, Byron

Edit: As a final note, this process really is a masking and cropping tool function. It just doesn't seem to be formally identified as such in the program, and it's a slightly pecuilar but quite workable way to do it. In the end it works just fine. I suspect in AR3 it will be formalized and simplified (fingers crossed) as it seems, for good reason, to be highly desired in the tech posts.
    Last edited by byroncallas; 05-21-2009 at 05:34 AM.
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

Gallery
    View images
    Wow!!! A visual of it...even sweeter! Thanks, Someonesane!!!