Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Oil Spectrum for Giclee Fine Art Print Reproductions

Now I am ashamed to say I don't know how to download this .......... Help?
    Da go Te'
    Best to you

Peter............
    Have a listen to or buy my music : http://www.reverbnation.com/playlist...artist_3522106
    and the Aubrey Small website:http://www.aubreysmall.com/
    My Facebook page:https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010972992278

Hi Peter to download and install just click the Oil Spectrum.col attachment in my first post, choose save and navigate to ...Ambient Design\ArtRage 2\Resources\Colors and save there.
    In artrage you will have to use the load option from the sample colours palette navigate to this same folder and choose the file.

Hope this helps

Hiya Byroncallas, glad you like them

Everything Byroncallas has stated about colour is indeed true. If you would like to understand more about 'why' i suggest to read
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color#R...pectral_colors and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color#P...flective_media . Actually the entire page is handy knowledge

dont restrict your palette for giclee, just enjoy with artrage. colors dont match.

Quote Originally Posted by byroncallas View Post
    Yachris (and all): As for printing, it can not be expected that what color you see on your monitor is what will print, not even with this wonderful pallet, unless you go to the effort to calibrate your monitor with the selected output device. Then, even with Giclee, it will still only be close (though probably terrific even if not spot on to your intentions.) Every monitor with all the various user adjustments looks different. The monitor is only an approximation (usually a bad approximation) of what will print. Still worse, every person sees color differently, sometimes considerably differently. The color reproduction machinery of eyes and brains are as different for each person as are the color variations on any given monitor. If you plan to print paintings and near-exact color match the way you see it is important, you must plan to work with your printers and expect a degree of agony to get to the color that near-matches your vision. I have 38 years experience matching print-output to client expectations. There is only one secret. Provide topnotch files and accurate color-match reference to and work closely with a customer friendly, competent, patient printer who has the right equipment for your needs. At the same time, don't expect perfection. Work to get something that looks great, not something that matches exactly what you see on your monitor. Often the print version will be a vast improvement over the monitor output, but will be rejected from being fixated on matching a vision rather than accepting an often more than terrific (even if minor) alternative to the color goals. Understanding these printing basics can save one from a lot of hair pulling and letdown from unfulfilled expectations, and the seemingly justified desrie to murder one's commercial printer.
    Sage advice, indeed. I had hoped that by color-calibrating my monitor, getting and using the proper printer profiles, that I could save a step and get something close the first time... fool that I am :-).

Well, I am happy to have a color-calibrated monitor, it helps a lot. And now I have a (more than) competent printer to work with, and even better, now I have properly calibrated expectations! Thanks.
    WARNING: ArtRage can cause serious loss of time, and excessive smiling! Use with care! Frequently!

“All creativity is an extended form of a joke.” – Alan Kay

Don't forget... after you're done with colour calibration, you also have to worry about gamut translation between RGB and your print process (look up gamut on google for methods of dealing with the madness, I apparently can't post a URL yet since I'm new). And even then, with gamut properly tuned, you will never get perfect 100%-accurate colour translation from your monitor to your print; the best you can hope for is a fairly accurate approximation.

This is why most giclee printers do a strip-test for you before you commit to a full print. Any printer that doesn't is only going to rip you off. ALWAYS get a small print/strip-test/proof before proceeding to full production.

Working with a well-researched palette like this one or a premade set like Pantone will help you get closer to your expectations. Just be aware that in the end, even lab colour is not 100% accurate.

To add to what Yogsodoth is saying...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Juz; 05-17-2009 at 06:02 AM.

Brilliant, nice job. These will come in useful. Here's hoping for a mixer in AR3

Quote Originally Posted by Juz View Post
    To add to what Yogsodoth is saying...

Yes, this is correct. I happen to paint abstracts with high-key colors, and print them on canvas. Consequently it is near impossible for me to get color outputs that match my vision. I'm knowlegable about these printing problems, and consequently work with my printers to arrive at something I can live with, accepting that the printer can not be expected to defy the laws of chemistry and physics. The key with all this is to stay sane and realistic inside the restraits of your time, budget, and mechanical limitations, work with reliable professionals, and help them help you.
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

No worries guys