ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Oil Spectrum for Giclee Fine Art Print Reproductions

Oil Spectrum for Giclee Fine Art Print Reproductions

Hi ragers,

This palette has rgb values that are designed to approximate real world oil colour when working with digital printers inks. It works especially well for Giclee Fine Art Print Reproductions.

This palette is ideal for seasoned traditional oil painters who have and know the names of favorite colours.

It is also ideal for beginners who are following how to paint books/videos and are being directed to an exact colour eg/ cadmium yellow, burnt sienna etc

Can't wait to see what you guys make with it
    Enjoy
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks Juz.

You are most Welcome

These are great, Juz! Thanks for posting them!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Thanks for making such an awesome app to use em with

How perfectly delightful and excellently well timed too!!!
    I have for the past 3 days been trying to achieve something like this...I scanned some oil color charts and tried to color-pick from them, buts its not as simple as that and I found I had to correct the most of the results I was getting by eye (guess work)

Ah, anyway..I am completely thrilled to find your contribution, most especially since its rgb values have been properly worked out.

A BIG thank you!

At the risk of sounding skeptical (which is not my intent at all), if anyone tries this palette and is able to print it/have it printed on a high-end giclee printer, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let us know how it all works out.

I just went through (honestly, a pretty small amount of) agony getting my "Daughter's Tulip" image printed. I finally found a place that does both "photo-paper" type printing as well as "giclee" type printing locally, AND they work with you directly, AND if it's not to your satisfaction they re-do it until it is. Took two tries, but they got it right... sorta... but I'm not sure it would ever match the monitor-image exactly.

SO, having *truly* printable colors would be fantastic.

OH YEAH: The place I got my images printed was DigiPixArt in Fairfax, Virginia. They're on the web, too.
    Last edited by yachris; 05-16-2009 at 04:11 AM.
    WARNING: ArtRage can cause serious loss of time, and excessive smiling! Use with care! Frequently!

“All creativity is an extended form of a joke.” – Alan Kay

Pretty darn neat...thanks Juz! I've downloaded this and added it to my wonderful list of other color palettes acquired from this forum!!!

Yachris,
    I am a registered corel user and these colours are a direct manual translation of their oil spectrum which has been thoroughly researched with giclee.

Colour Values cannot be copyrighted thus there is no need to worry on that front.

Hope this sets your mind at ease.

Quote Originally Posted by yachris View Post
    At the risk of sounding skeptical (which is not my intent at all), if anyone tries this palette and is able to print it/have it printed on a high-end giclee printer, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let us know how it all works out. I just went through (honestly, a pretty small amount of) agony getting my "Daughter's Tulip" image printed. I finally found a place that does both "photo-paper" type printing as well as "giclee" type printing locally, AND they work with you directly, AND if it's not to your satisfaction they re-do it until it is. Took two tries, but they got it right... sorta... but I'm not sure it would ever match the monitor-image exactly. SO, having *truly* printable colors would be fantastic. OH YEAH: The place I got my images printed was DigiPixArt in Fairfax, Virginia. They're on the web, too.
    Wonderful Juz. I've wanted this since the first day I opened ArtRage. In keeping with the notion of AR mimicking real-world paint tools, this pallet is a more true and useful mimic than the current AR digital color pickers. This will become my color-picker of choice simply because it close-matches real world tube paints.

Yachris (and all): As for printing, it can not be expected that what color you see on your monitor is what will print, not even with this wonderful pallet, unless you go to the effort to calibrate your monitor with the selected output device. Then, even with Giclee, it will still only be close (though probably terrific even if not spot on to your intentions.) Every monitor with all the various user adjustments looks different. The monitor is only an approximation (usually a bad approximation) of what will print. Still worse, every person sees color differently, sometimes considerably differently. The color reproduction machinery of eyes and brains are as different for each person as are the color variations on any given monitor. If you plan to print paintings and near-exact color match the way you see it is important, you must plan to work with your printers and expect a degree of agony to get to the color that near-matches your vision. I have 38 years experience matching print-output to client expectations. There is only one secret. Provide topnotch files and accurate color-match reference to and work closely with a customer friendly, competent, patient printer who has the right equipment for your needs. At the same time, don't expect perfection. Work to get something that looks great, not something that matches exactly what you see on your monitor. Often the print version will be a vast improvement over the monitor output, but will be rejected from being fixated on matching a vision rather than accepting an often more than terrific (even if minor) alternative to the color goals. Understanding these printing basics can save one from a lot of hair pulling and letdown from unfulfilled expectations, and the seemingly justified desire to murder one's commercial printer.
    Last edited by byroncallas; 07-10-2009 at 04:12 AM. Reason: spelling
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4