ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pen Tablet troubles

Question Pen Tablet troubles

I am experiencing troubles with artrage 2.5 when I use my Wacom Bamboo One pen tablet. It used to work fine but now there are all sorts of glitches. The most common is a severe delay between using the pen and what appears on the screen. The touchpad of the laptop works fine but is too clumsy. In most cases it leads to a crash and I have to shut the computer (Mac running OSX 10.4.11) down. The pen still works fine with all other software i.e. scribbles, Ink and general use in place of a mouse. I scrubbed Artrage 2 and downloaded 2.5 but to no avail. Where and what is the problem? Please help as I now have to use Scribbles to do artwork which is okay but it is more of a "Fun" programme and I miss my Artrage.

Hi Shooie!

So, you are getting a crash specifically when using the tablet in ArtRage? Can I get you to send me the crash report to support@ambientdesign.com?

Also, I'd recommend reinstalling the latest version of the Wacom BAMBOO tablet drivers from www.wacom.com in case there is a problem there.

Check that you don't have anything else running in the background when launching ArtRage and see if that makes any difference.

Also, can you think of anything that changed between the time everything was working and when the problem first occured? ( OS update, new application / hardware installed, settings changes or any other differences you may have noticed )

As we're probably going to need to do a bit of troubleshooting here with you, I'd recommend contacting me via email ( above ) so that we can go through some steps more directly. Looking forward to helping further!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Hi Shooie,
    just a thought...
    You're issue may be caused by the wacom driver installer not overwriting the old driver correctly. In 13yr of using the wacom intuos line of products i have often found this to be the case resulting in all sorts of 'wiggy' behaviour in different graphics apps.

Uninstall your old driver, Reboot (important) Install the new driver
    Hope this helps

Hi there,
    Thank you both for your speedy replies and words of wisdom. I downloaded the latest driver last night but nothing changed I didn't realise I had to uninstall the old one. Have done so and all is well now. Mucho happiness Thanks again

Thanks for letting us know, Shooie! So glad to hear it's all working well for you now.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Wonderful, glad its now fixed

My suspicion is that the problem lies in whatever Wacom is using to write their installer being very very old. (The Geneva font in the installer app is a dead giveaway for how old their installer library is).

I've just found its best to always ignore Wacoms advice to overwrite as these sorts of issues crop up more often than not when you do.
    Last edited by Juz; 05-22-2009 at 07:12 AM.

Unhappy edgy / angled lines

Hi,

specs: Artrage 2.5 Full, XP Tablet PC, Fujiutsu Siemens ST5032

Some strange behaviour: I used Artrage 2.5 for about 2 weeks now without any problems and now (after a restart) my strokes become edgy / angled when doing slow movements (the lines in other drawing software are still ok). I reinstalled the FS Pendrivers. It didn't help. Then I downloaded Wacom Drivers, they worked perfect with my other drawing software, but not with Artrage - still visual steps in my lines. So I uninstalled them (with reboot) and reinstalled the FS Pendriver. No improvement.

Picture1 300dpi

"old" means before the problem appears
    "25%" means I drew it with zoom=25%
    The more I zoom in, the less angled it becomes, but this behaviour is new, never realized it before.

Picture2 100dpi still, but less, visual angled

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by FrankLoewy; 05-31-2009 at 09:30 AM.

Solved!

Thanks to Dave

"Kartal - on Windows when using a Wacom tablet, you may find it beneficial to enable 'Use precise tablet mode' under Edit --> Preferences then restart ArtRage.

For a smoother pencil look in general, turning on the precise pencil ( located in the left hand panel when the pencil has been selected ) will give a less texture-affected look to the pencil. If using the normal pencil, decresing the softness value will also make it less affected by the texture of the canvas."

My Problem first appeared after restarting, I forgot, that I did deactivate "Use precise tablet mode" hours and hibernations ago.

By the way, why is very an option to be "unprecise"?
    Last edited by FrankLoewy; 05-31-2009 at 10:55 AM.

The 'precise' mode uses raw packet data from the tablet, to get a higher resolution than screen resolution. For example, some tablets can have a resolution of 1200 points per inch, where a mouse is 72, 96, or 120 points per inch (depending on your screen resolution). While the mouse may be capable of more, the driver only makes that lower resolution available to programmers.

However, because we're using the raw data from the tablet, it hasn't been massaged by the hardware manufacturers driver to make it Windows compliant. In general, that's not a problem - the raw packet data looks much the same regardless of the hardware manufacturer. But it's not *always* the case. Some tablet manufacturers have raw data that is completely different to Wacom's. So you can get some very strange bugs with certain types of tablet hardware.
    Unfortunately there's no way we can programmatically work out whether the data is 'good' or 'bad', so we have to give the option of switching off the ability to use the raw tablet data, and use the data that is Windows compliant. And unfortunately that means it is reduced to the screen resoution of 96 ppi (or whatever).

So, if you're able to use precise tablet mode, you can often get a much smoother line out of ArtRage, because we can sample tablet points at a higher resolution than your screen resolution.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Thanks Andy.

Just a suggestion:

Maybe it would be possible for you, to open up a window at the installation or right after it to let the user test the raw data mode. eg. give him some examples he has to draw to discover errors. After finishing he or she could decide to never show again this window.