Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stencil Fun and Art Composition

Gallery
    View images

Stencil Fun and Art Composition

I was just playing around with red, black, and white because I like the contrast of the colors and ended up playing around with the stencils too. If you have not experimented with the stencils, now is a good time. It takes little time and it's fun! : ) Just a little hint -- using the same colors and shapes, but in different ways -- is a good way to create harmony in your work. Georges Seurat did this in "La Grande Jatte," with umbrellas and so forth. He used a lot of the same shapes but in different ways. In my piece I used similar shapes in different colors and sizes. Also, I used feminine (curvy) lines in this one to give it a little more harmony, though both feminine and masculine (straight) lines can work well together too, depending on what you are aiming at. Or, just goof off and see what happens! If you don't have an idea for a color scheme you can use a color wheel (there are probably some, which can be downloaded online), or you can try your favorite colors. Another way to get good color is to find a photo or another piece of art online with a color scheme you like. Sometimes I enjoy just throwing together colors that I don't think will work together and now and then I get a nice surprise! I know there are lot of you out there who know a lot more than I do , but these are a few hints for anyone who has not studies art appreciation and composition. It's a simple explanation and makes it easy to begin creating basic art compositions. This technique works well in both abstract and realistic work. Anyhoo, just have fun with it!

NOTE: USING STENCILS ON A MAC> I put together some info. on this subject and it is posted in "Tips and Tricks" of the forum at the following link: http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ad.php?t=19631 I hope this helps!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Red, Black & White Bold.JPG 
Views:	135 
Size:	288.7 KB 
ID:	27643  

Last edited by cathyd; 05-25-2009 at 09:01 PM.
    My Gallery here

MY MUSIC FREE DOWNLOADS here

FACEBOOK here

Gallery
    View images
    Cathy, it is both bold and fun....quite lively.
    Kind words can be short and easy to speak but their echoes are truly endless. ~Mother Teresa

http://rightbrainedmama.wordpress.com/

and, most especially, my photography at
    http://sweet-harmony-photography.smugmug.com/

http://foxytocin.deviantart.com/

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Cathy. Great fun, well designed - basic stencils put to great compositional use. I'll make one for fun when I get a break here from the next couple of hectic days.

Best, Byron
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

Gallery
    View images

The New Jerusalem

Thanks to both of you. I'll check out those stencils, foxytocin. And Byron, I'm looking forward to seeing what you are going to do with the stencils. I'm sure it will above and beyond mine. Blessings, Cathy
    My Gallery here

FACEBOOK here

Gallery
    View images

Quick Project Kick-Off

Well, I found a couple of hours to work this evening so here's a quick entry using 5 most basic shape stencils (it seemed shape stencils was the project idea???) and an oddball composition. I might try something more complex/comprehensive later. This was just to help kick-off the project. Hope you enjoy the rather quick, far from polished effort.

Name:	abstract  035  ArtRage Upload.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	444.5 KB 
ID:	27685  

Last edited by byroncallas; 05-13-2009 at 10:19 AM.
    //

Gallery
    View images

Woah!

Woah, Byron. I love the color blasts. Beautiful design. Thanks a lot!
    My Gallery here

FACEBOOK here

Gallery
    View images
    Here's a new one for your thread, Cathy and Byron:
    A mermaid?????

Name:	mermaid geometricsjpg.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	133.3 KB 
ID:	27691  

Kind words can be short and easy to speak but their echoes are truly endless. ~Mother Teresa

http://rightbrainedmama.wordpress.com/

and, most especially, my photography at
    http://sweet-harmony-photography.smugmug.com/

http://foxytocin.deviantart.com/

Gallery
    View images
    Foxy - fabulous. Elegant and refined. I especially like the delicate gold and metal foil looks. A lovely expressionist mermaid and creative use of your stencil selections to construct your forms on a simple but dynamic background. Very cool.
    Last edited by byroncallas; 05-13-2009 at 01:48 PM.
    //

Gallery
    View images
    Dear Cathy, beautiful design and great idea, so glad to have your knowledge shared with us, no art education on my side but just love art, sure wish i did know the things you mention about composition and color, but always ready to be an old dog with new tricks, this one is just a qiucky for the daily fix , thank you!

Dear Byron, as always, true to your style, great colors and design, something about it reminds me of opening a pencil box full of great tools

Dear Foxy, wonderful colors and imagination, great watery colors and irridescent look,
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gallery
    View images

Thanks!

Beautiful work, foxytocin. Very whimsical. Love the colors and metallic work. Thanks a lot for posting. Byron, thanks a lot for your support and your plug on the gallery for this thread. Lee, I have been following your work and find it wonderful. Very original. Great design you posted here. There is something about it that holds one's attention. I like the colors too, and your use of light and shadow. Thanks a lot for your generous comments. I know a little, but there are so many on here who know so much more. Blessings to all of you, Cathy
    My Gallery here

FACEBOOK here