ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Is there a Mac master out there?

Is there a Mac master out there?

I have been working on a big project which has seemingly come to a dead end.
    I was trying to make a music and slideshow from 18 paintings I have done recently on a theme, which I had hoped to post here.
    Well, the paintings were the easy part, and the rest has been a series of technical dead ends.
    These have been things like, you can't export a slideshow from Iphoto, or if you work around it, you get crappy looking artwork from the compression involved in making it postable on the web.
    There has also been a dead end with finding permission for the music I want to use, but thats a different story altogether.
    If you think you might have some knowledge that would help, I would like to correspond about it.
    I can post these paintings as a simple slideshow, but it is lacking in the cool effects that seem to bring it to life.
    Any help appreciated.
    "If I could only learn to be humble, I would be so proud." Author Unknown.

I don't know much about it, but I came across this site http://jaycut.com/
    You can upload your photos to it and make a slide show from them. There are a few transition effects you can use and you can add your own music. You do have to register but it is a free service and I think you can then publish the video to facebook etc.....or download a copy to your computer
    Last edited by Bumble; 05-12-2009 at 02:28 AM.
    Bumble on deviantART
    Bumble's Photos
    Friendship is the song in your heart and friends are the ones who sing it back to you when you forget the words.

I don't know if you have access to Adobe Flash. It's been a while since I've used Flash extensively, but I'm pretty sure there are many tutorials out there that would explain how to do nice looking slideshows in Flash.

Possible you could do something similar with javascript/dynamic html, but that I know even less about.

Sounds like a big project. Good luck!

cheers,
    Peter
    Lead Concept Artist - NDS Denmark
    Illustrator
    www.petervillumsen.com

If you have iPhoto, you probably also have iMovie. You can do lots in that program with camera moves across the stills, transitions, effects, timing and laying an audio track.

It's got the general feel of most of your movie creation programs, only fewer features. You can even lay text over it. It's a minor learning curve if you want to know aspect rations and all that jazz. But it's available in the help files and also if you go onto the Mac site you can get tech support from Users like yourself who have gone through it.

Anyway, when you have it assembled, you can export it as a movie in any of a number of formats that would go on YouTube (free) where they do their final conversion automatically. I think you can have it as large as 2 gigabytes but it would be severely reduced and you may be disappointed (though maybe not).

If you wanted something like a Power Point where you can step through on command, you're over my head since I don't get into that stuff.

But iMovie is more intuitive than you think. And it does a pretty decent job I must say. Only difference between it and (forgot the name of their pro level film prog) is some of the features and effects. But the finished look is pretty polished.

Have fun with it. I'm afraid I can't walk you through it, since I fumble my way through and forget how to do things after some months go by.

But take your time and enjoy the creativity you can bring to that vehicle, since you will be dealing with the element of time and audio. How cool is that!

Have fun!
    Last edited by D Akey; 05-12-2009 at 05:45 AM.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Thanks for the help so far, Bumble, I will look at that site as soon as I get a minute--sounds like a good lead.
    PV I know nothing about flash ( including whether I have it) but will check it out too.
    Dakey--I did a good finished product in Imovie, but it really looked bad after being compressed for export. Even at that, Mobileme ( where I had planned to show it from) said it was too big to post.
    Right now I am reducing all the paintings to webviewing type quality and reducing their size, then will give it a shot again. Hoping the size will make it work this time, anyones guess what the quality will come down to.
    Just as a note, I got the new Ilife versions of Iphoto and Imovie, and in the new version of imovie most of the cool effects were gone. Win some and lose some.
    The music however, made the whole thing work. I would call a slideshow of these paintings without the chosen music a good thing for insomniacs, downright boring, but the music brought it alive. Can't seem to get ahold of this guy, and with a name like Nomad, I might have a problem there.....

Quote Originally Posted by Rob in Denver View Post
    Dakey--I did a good finished product in Imovie, but it really looked bad after being compressed for export. Even at that, Mobileme ( where I had planned to show it from) said it was too big to post.
    Right now I am reducing all the paintings to webviewing type quality and reducing their size, then will give it a shot again. Hoping the size will make it work this time, anyones guess what the quality will come down to.
    Well, I hope there still are different compressors that the program gives you a choice of. Experimentation is about the only thing I can think of. But the place you are going to upload to should have recommendations. And you can always ask on the Mac site for the most efficient compression settings for what you want to do. It's a fine line sometimes between a good and a crummy appearance.

Just as a note, I got the new Ilife versions of Iphoto and Imovie, and in the new version of imovie most of the cool effects were gone. Win some and lose some.
    That's why I didn't upgrade. That has to be one of the lamest things they have done. Only reason I can see for it is they want people to upgrade to Final Cut Express or Pro. There was also some crazyness when they changed their core concept upgrading to iMovieHD -- many of the supporting software company that made filers were left high and dry. So many of these third party developers stopped supporting iMovie altogether. But iMovie was touted as having great new algorithms so it was mildly acceptable. But then they made the next version of iMovie weaker, well that was too much. I'm fine with my version thank you very much.

My version of iMovieHD is a super program. And the price for that package -- pretty sweet. May have been an answer to PC having all the software written for them that Mac started buying Final Cut and all that stuff.

Anyway, it's a dandy program when your end is Youtube because of Youtube having their own compressor. And it didn't really destroy what my buddy put up surprisingly.

The music however, made the whole thing work. I would call a slideshow of these paintings without the chosen music a good thing for insomniacs, downright boring, but the music brought it alive. Can't seem to get ahold of this guy, and with a name like Nomad, I might have a problem there.....
    Ah, music is key. Glad it worked for you.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Hi,
    You can use Photo to Movie which works fine.
    It can export in different formats.

http://www.lqgraphics.com/software/phototomovie.php

See if this might work for you.
    AB
    kiva.org
    How you can help people living in developing countries

Keynote (part of the iWork suite) does pretty much what you want I think, and if you export in a format that doesn't render the whole thing to a movie it won't take up so much space.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

I hope I am capable of utilizing all this great info!! I should have asked here long before now!!