ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Brush loading problem on large canvases?

Question Brush loading problem on large canvases?

First off congrats on a slick piece of software. Very impressive. Anyhow, I just downloaded the free version (I do intend to buy the full one, honest ) and I notice that when painting oils on larger canvases (e.g. 4000px) the paint tends to thin right down so that saturated colours are difficult to achieve and paint strokes will fade out almost immediately even with 100% loading.

Also if I choose pure RGB (0,0,0) black from the colour wheel it doesn't matter how much I paint over the same piece of canvas the paint won't go much darker than RGB (25,25,25). Nor does it make a difference what size I set my brush to.

When I paint on a smaller canvas it's fine. It could easily be something I'm doing wrong as I've only been using it a couple of hours but I can't see why it's happening.

Basically this means I have to paint in small dabs and the overall result appears slightly washed out.

I hope this makes sense to someone. Just to be clear I realise a brush will go further across a small canvas than a large one when loaded with the same amount of paint but I'd have thought a brush of proportionally the same size would go the same proportional distance (e.g. half way across) before running out of paint. It just seems the paint is thinner on large canvases..?

Hi Simon,

Brush sizes are absolute rather than proportional, so the same brush will go for the same distance before running out of paint ( therefore a relatively smaller size if the painting is larger ).

You can get brush sizes larger than the standard 100% by clicking on the size indicator in the bottom left corner and entering a value up to 500%

However, if I pick up a black brush at 100% size and 100% loading here and drag a stroke from left to right on a 4000 px canvas, I'm easily able to get the whole distance without running out of paint which doesn't sound like what you're seeing.

Could you possibly send me a screenshot of your canvas showing the problem, and the tool settings panel visible, as well as information on what operating system you're using and what input device you're using to support@ambientdesign.com? I'll take a look at it for you so that I can make sure I'm on the right track.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Thanks for the fast response, Dave, now that's what I call support! When I get home tonight I'll post a couple of screenshots to show what I mean (EDIT: I'll email them also). I guess I'm doing something wrong but I can't figure out what.

Dave, I sent you an email and I'll copy it here too... thanks!

At first I couldnít replicate it, then I realised it wasnít entirely as Iíd said (ahem). The issue isnít related to the size of the canvas itís actually to do with the file type.

In the attachment I created a blank PTG and drew lines 1 and 2 Ė no problem (loading settings as specified, pressure at 100%). I then saved this as a PSD but when I imported it again and used the same brushes to paint lines 3, 4 and 5 the result was hardly any paint was put down (or, it was blending too quickly it with the background, not sure which).

Maybe Iím doing something wrong and it isnít a huge issue. But I wondered, what if I need to take the painting to another app part way through to do something (e.g. colour adjustment) and then take it back into ArtRage to continue working on it. Is there a way of doing this without encountering this problem?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Sorry, forgot to include OS, etc.

Itís XP Home, SP2

Wacom Intuos 3

When you export the painting file as a PSD, it merged the canvas colour into the paint layer. When you re-import the PSD, the layer was treated as a single layer full of paint. So when you paint on top of it with your oil tool the oil blends in with the white canvas paint.

To solve this, add a new layer. Or use the instant-dry option on the oils.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

I get it, thanks v much for letting me know, Andy

Dave helpfully supplied some more details by email so I'm posting them up here in case it helps anyone else -

Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    Thanks for the details, ahh I hadn't thought of that! Right, I think I can see what's happening there for you. You're exporting to a PSD, which is then making the background layer, including the canvas colour into media ( As we do a separate canvas, but Photoshop doesn't ). So when you import the file again, you're getting your original paint strokes, but the white background is now also paint on that same layer. When you then try to place down some black paint, it's smearing into the white background, making it fade out much more rapidly.

You can turn on 'insta dry' in the tool settings panel to apply your fresh paint dry which should stop it from smearing easily and this will work in the Starter Edition. In the Full Edition of ArtRage, you can paint on multiple layers, and you could also leave the background layer free of media when you export to Photoshop, so that when the canvas colour becomes paint, you aren't painting directly into it, but on layers above.

I hope that helps!