Thread: starter edition

Gallery
    View images

starter edition

hi everyone
    im new and just wanted some advice, i only have the starter edition and have just started painting and cant really draw that well hehe..but i love painting and drawing and would love to learn do u guys have any tips or anything. I just do my own thing really when it comes to painting, it just helps me relax and destress hehe but just wondered if u have any advice?

Gallery
    View images
    hehe learn sum grammer hehe k thx u?

Gallery
    View images
    My best advice would be to get a digtal drawing pad. I use a Bamboo tablet (street $90) but really any pad will do. Doing art on a computer is rough (not impossible) with a mouse and can be quite frustrating.

Secondly you'll want to spend the extra $25 on the full version. Not only does it have A LOT of tools that can help beginners and experts alike, but it also has the layers feature that helps immensely for correcting mistakes without destroying the entire picture.

Please disregard the first commenter, I have found the people here on the AR forums very nice and helpful. All skills and abilities are welcome here and I hope we all get to know you and your art better.

See you around.
    Art, Art everywhere and not a blob of paint.

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Mystery... I seem to recommend the book "Drawing on the right side of the brain" a lot, but that's only because it's fantastic :-). You should be able to find it at your local library, or used. She assumes *nothing* and takes you through a lot of really good exercises. It won't take you long to go through, but (if you're like me) it'll take about five years off of the learning process.

Second, I'd recommend taking a class or two. My first drawing teacher was *awful* but it was good anyway; I was going through the "Drawing..." book's exercises before the class started (and a bit into the class), and the class was making me practice. And, I wound up learning a LOT from seeing what the other people in the class did... way more than I learned from the teacher. I've had several fantastic teachers since then... I recommend good ones, oddly enough :-) but any class is better than none. If nothing else, you get to ask questions on how people did stuff, and they can show you right there. I ask the "how did you DO that?" question a lot here too.

And then, lots of practice... there's really no substitute for practice, but as I say, good books (there are others) and teaching will make a HUGE difference in how quickly and well you get at this stuff. And trust me, it's a lot more fun when you like the results :-)

Good luck! Enjoy the journey! Post lots here, we'd love to see it all. In spite of the first reply, we really are a good supportive group here.
    WARNING: ArtRage can cause serious loss of time, and excessive smiling! Use with care! Frequently!

“All creativity is an extended form of a joke.” – Alan Kay

Gallery
    View images
    Hmmm. A few tips.

1) practice a lot a lot a lot

2) enjoy it. If you arern't enjoying it, why paint? And if something isn't working (eg faces, manga style, shadows) switch to something else (eg abstract, flowers, realism, colour) and see what happens.

3) look at other artists, find people - eg on deviantart, or here - a LOT better than you, and a bit better than you, and learn from them, and work your way up to their level, then find other people.

4) use the flip options (h and v are the hotkeys) to see your pictures form other angles, and don't be afraid to put it away for a few days, then look again with a fresh eye.

5) Nothing wrong with references.

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flynn_the_Cat View Post
    Hmmm. A few tips.

4) use the flip options (h and v are the hotkeys) to see your pictures form other angles, and don't be afraid to put it away for a few days, then look again with a fresh eye.
    Just totally agree with Flynn on all of these, but let me REALLY emphasize the last bit of #4.

I'd word it, Be SURE to put it away for at LEAST a day before you do anything "public" like posting it here in the Gallery section. QUITE annoying to come back a few days AFTER posting and see some glaring error... and OH YEAH I've done this :-)
    WARNING: ArtRage can cause serious loss of time, and excessive smiling! Use with care! Frequently!

Gallery
    View images
    Mystery,

I echo the other contributors: Take classes, learn from others, participate, and PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. And most important, have fun.

This forum is a GREAT place to learn. People seem willing, even eager, to give away their secrets. Take advantage of their generous experience while you are developing your own artistic voice. Post your work often and don't be afraid to ask for constructive feedback. There are a few masters floating around here and their tips and advice are invaluable. Meanwhile we all learn and support each other though our constructive participation.

Welcome to the forum.

Best,
    Byron
    PS: And yeah, spring for the full edition. I promise you'll be glad you did.
    Last edited by byroncallas; 05-09-2009 at 12:37 AM.
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

Gallery
    View images
    For drawing:
    Drawing on Right Side is ok. But a bit on the theory side.

But One of the best books I have read (and I have read many) is Drawing for Dummies by Hoddinott. This one I would happily recommend. (It's no offence, I actually mean it). Its has all the theory of other books, but Hoddinott makes it easy.

If you want tasters for the book. Many, many, many of the excersices are now on-line - 4 free - at www.drawspace.com. But you'll have to do a free regis.

For painting:
    Difficult. As I have yet to read any good books on painting with info usefull for ArtRage. Most painting books I have read deal A LOT with materials, drying time, paint mixing etc. But that's not really that interesting for AR. Anyone?

Happy DoodLS

Gallery
    View images
    I'd recommend two books, one of which I can't recall right now :-(

The other one is called "Capturing Radiant Light And Color in Oils and Soft Pastels" by Susan Sarback. Ignore the "oils and soft pastels" bit, because it's more of a "how to see" book. Before you're put off by that theory-ish sentence, let me say that she makes it interesting and practical. Her ideas are applicable to any medium, as it's more of a "what color to use and where to put them" than medium-specific advice. She's done one titled "Capturing Radiant Color in Oils" and I think that's the one I read a few years ago. This one is similar, so don't buy both :-)