ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Memory Intensive?

Gallery
    View images

Memory Intensive?

Hello, first post and I have a question. Is Artrage particulalry memory intensive?
    It seems OK sometimes, then other times I cannot keep the pen pressed on the tablet for more than 1 - 2 seconds without it freezing.I can keep the program open, go and open Painter 11 or Photoshop (or both) and they are both fine.Its getting to the stage where I dont want to bother opening up the program, which is a shame because I think I could really like it.

This is on a Windows 7 64-Bit machine, 4GB RAM .AMD Athlon x64 Dual Core 4600+ 2.4GHz , using a Wacom Bamboo Fun Tablet (same result using mouse)

I have tried diabling any unneccesary processes , nothing seems to help.

Gallery
    View images
    Saldawop: ArtRage is very responsive when painting a the default (and near default) canvas size and dpi settings. If you're having trouble something strange is happening, especially with 4GB ram. At these sizes AR is very robust.

As you increase canvas size and dpi settings AR begins to slow down, and bogs down for very large paintings with high dpi settings. The lighting effects that make AR paint appear so realistic are apparently resource intensive; it becomes evident with ever increasing canvas sizes and dpi settings. The Rage team will be able to give you better feedback for your problem if you'll provide them with the dimensions and dpi settings for the paintings you're struggling with.

Also, there is an F5 toggle that turns lighting effects on and off. When it's off it will often reduce the drag on some strokes with some tools for those resource-hungry large paintings at least to some degree. Just toggle back on when the strokes are completed. Not perfect, but sometimes helpful.

Note, if you don't intend to print out your paintings to large dimensions, working near the range of the default canvas size and dpi settings is the way to go. If you plan to print out large dimension paintings (which I do all the time) you may have to experiment with rescaling in third party software consistent with your printing requirements while scaling your paintings inside AR to a happy balance for your computer's performance.

The Rage team will give you the technical feedback to help you out, but you'll help them provide a reliable answer if you tell them now what dimensions and dpi settings you are working with.

Hope this is useful to get you started.

Byron
    Last edited by byroncallas; 05-04-2009 at 04:32 AM.
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

Gallery
    View images
    Reset to defaults, pressed f5. Same result!Perhaps its not the program itself, because sometimes it seems fine but it seems to be the only program that is affected.I can open a number of video files, play music fine, open Painter and Photoshop(all at same time) and they all work as they should.Open ArtRage, 1 -2 secs of pressure...(I dont even have to actually paint, just put the pen on the tablet, or clcik mouse), and I get the Not Responding message.Lift the pen and its fine.

Now I just tried it again..same thing half a dozen times, then the next time its fine,then its not!!

Gallery
    View images
    Got it. For sure that's one for the Rage team to answer - your feedback will provide pointers for them. I'm guessing may be related to tablet drivers etc. but answering that is out of my league. While you're waiting for feedback from the Rage team, just as an experiment, if you haven't already you might try disconnecting the tablet completely and seeing if you encounter the same problems with a normal mouse (kind of trial by elimination approach). For sure, at the default dimensions, AR would normally be VERY robust on a machine as decked out as yours.
    Last edited by byroncallas; 05-04-2009 at 04:44 AM.
    //

Gallery
    View images
    Well I tried removing the Tablet from my PC and it seemed fine. Reinstalled the latest driver from Wacom, and so far, it seems to be working as it should . Hopefully it was the Driver that was the culprit .Seems strange how it only affected this one program.Anyway, as it is at the moment I am just thankful that all seems well. Thank you.

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by Saldawop View Post
    Well I tried removing the Tablet from my PC and it seemed fine. Reinstalled the latest driver from Wacom, and so far, it seems to be working as it should . Hopefully it was the Driver that was the culprit .Seems strange how it only affected this one program.Anyway, as it is at the moment I am just thankful that all seems well. Thank you.
    Your problems may be due to the fact that you're using Windows 7. I doubt that ArtRage2 has been fully tested yet on Windows 7.

Considering that Windows 7 is beta up to May 5, then only an RC candidate, that is highly possible that the Rage team is waiting for the release version of Windows 7 before testing.

Cheers

Doug

Gallery
    View images
    Yes, you are of course correct .It is running so sweetly I sometimes forget its a Beta BUT like I said, all seems well now.

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by Saldawop View Post
    Terrific.
    //