Thread: What is your most/least favorite tool?

Gallery
    View images

What is your most/least favorite tool?

I did a search for "favorite tool" and did not see anything, so here goes:

What is your favorite tool to use in ArtRage? Are you purely a Glitter Guy, or do you swear by the Crayon?

What is your least favorite tool? Hate the Airbrush? Think the marker just bites it?

Show us some work of your fave tools working their magic with your talents!

My answer:

I feel in love with the crayon when I was Re-arting Portugal:

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ad.php?t=19072

So right now that is my fave tool.

I must give a mention to the paint tube and knife, cause I love splooshing paint and then smearing it all over. And like we all know, NO cleanup!!

My least favorites, or least understood are the glitter tool (the things folks do with glitter, wow...) and the airbush. I just can't get into them.

But above all, I LOVE the stencils!!!! Just call me the stencil chick. LOL

By the way, anyone have any tips/tricks for loving/using those two (glitter/airbrush)?

Gallery
    View images
    I'm a stencil lover too, glitter gun and knife for me... try playing with the glitter size and pressure, easy with the multicolour.... smear with the soft knife on smaller sizes.....

Gallery
    View images
    I'm thinking that the eraser might be the most under-appreciated tool. Used at low pressure and/or small size, it can be very useful.

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertSWade View Post
    I'm thinking that the eraser might be the most under-appreciated tool. Used at low pressure and/or small size, it can be very useful.
    Heh heh! I use the eraser on maximum size all the time... and Clear Layer...

Gallery
    View images
    I guess I'd have to go with the Crayon as being my favorite tool. There's a good amount of control with it and the colors can be smeared together easily (both with the tool itself when set to a high softness and with the Palette knife). I don't really have a "least" favorite tool. I pretty much use them all for various reasons. Anyway, here are a few images I did using the crayon tool:

Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Gallery
    View images
    Hmmmmm... interesting question.

I *thought* I'd love the oil-paint (due to liking it best of the traditional media I've tried) and the airbrush (due to liking it so much in Painter Essentials). However, the airbrush doesn't work much like the PE one, so I was initially disappointed... UNTIL I tried the Chalk tool! It's fantastic, even better than the PE airbrush. Along with occasional Knife blending work, Chalk has become my favorite *creation* tool... along with nigh-constant use of the Eraser. I admit it :-) The Roller is good for quick backgrounds with a bit of texture, and Stencils are occasionally astoundingly useful. Really, really really saved the day more than once. Way more useful than I'd have thought.

On the flipside, I have only ever used the Glitter gun when I'm dorking around making pseudo-abstracts to blow off steam after doing something intense, like the 30-second drills at posemaniacs.com. I've seen how people get fantastic results from it though, so it might come in handy some day. I just don't do that kind of texture, usually, so... we'll see. Oh yeah, I don't think I've done more with the Paint Tube than try it out once. And I've never been much one for pencil, and the time or two I used it I messed up and wound up with not-pencil lines :-/...

My "future gotta figure it out" list is currently the Felt Pen... the astounding magic that misterpaint accomplishes with it is inspiring. And I keep meaning to try to figure out Sweedie's advice about using the Crayon tool as a blender.

And I think that's everybody :-) at least for the current ArtRage... can't wait to meet the new crowd!

~~~~~~~~~~~

Edit: Someonesane, those are some great images!
    WARNING: ArtRage can cause serious loss of time, and excessive smiling! Use with care! Frequently!

“All creativity is an extended form of a joke.” – Alan Kay

Gallery
    View images
    I don't really have a favorite one yet, I'm trying one at a time and working with it for as long as it takes for me to understand it and how it works. The eraser is the one I use a lot more than I would like.....

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by yachris View Post
    And I keep meaning to try to figure out Sweedie's advice about using the Crayon tool as a blender.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Edit: Someonesane, those are some great images!
    Thanks yachris,

I have a video up on YouTube for the "Sad Kitty" image I made. The image was just something I did for practice, so I wasn't really going for a spot on likeness to the reference I used. Anyhow, although the video is sped up quit a bit, at about one minute into the video you'll see me switch from using the Oil Brush to the Crayon in order to start doing the detailing. It's probably quit similar to what Sweedie told you about. I set the Softness setting to about 90% and the Pressure to around 35 to 50% (for a smooth effect, be sure the paper setting for the layer is on the "cell" preset).

Here is the video link
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks, someonesane -- that's a great video. Always interesting to see how it all comes together.
    WARNING: ArtRage can cause serious loss of time, and excessive smiling! Use with care! Frequently!

“All creativity is an extended form of a joke.” – Alan Kay