ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Question about coloring sketches

Question Question about coloring sketches

Hello everyone! How are you? I hope everything is fine. Well....here is a question: What is the best way to color black sketches? Can you write a little tutorial, please? Thanks for attention and sorry for mistakes in my English.

Welcome to here Alhelor. I believe you may be our first member from your country. Not sure what you're asking. Are you talking about sketches you've made on paper?

If you have a drawing of black lines, then you choose 'tint' from the layer blend modes, and paint under it
    Downside:
    If you have metallic paints they won't show up as metallic - the top layer will hide the lighting effects.

The other way is to open the sketch/lineart in another program (GIMP, paintNET, photoshop etc) and select the white by colour, and delete it to get a transparent image with only the sketch lines. This is probably the best way.

Ok! I think i got it. I need to work with layers. Thanks for answers and for examples

For a scanned black-and-white sketch, I generally make it the top layer and set its blend mode to "Shadow", which renders its white areas transparent.

Quote Originally Posted by jope View Post
    For a scanned black-and-white sketch, I generally make it the top layer and set its blend mode to "Shadow", which renders its white areas transparent.
    Oh REALLY? So that's what it does. Thank you!