Thread: resolution?

Gallery
    View images

resolution?

I want to know what is the resolution of the images I make? To what size can they be printed and still look fine?

Thanks!

Gallery
    View images
    hi! Usually I use 30x40cm/40x60cm to 200dpi (good for digital printing)
    For digital print it's ok (fair compromise weight / quality), for the typography you use 300dpi.
    //
    Stefano Fiore - Rome/Italy (Misterpaint)
    // Tablet Wacom Intuos 4 Medium- XP SP3
    // My Portfolio: http://www.stefanofiorearte.com
    // 3D Art Gallery for all artists (my web project) http://www.grifioartgallery.com

Gallery
    View images
    First: Could the moderators PLEASE make some version of one of these discussions sticky, so that people will (hopefully) see them and not ask the same question over and over again?

Second, alas, the only answer is "It depends".

I have a great deal of respect for misterpaint; his numbers are coming from his results getting actual output from the company that he gets output from. But if you're not in Europe, you'll probably use a different company to print your images. So his numbers may not help at all.

You'll definitely get a lot of very authoritative (sounding) suggestions here (or in the several other threads where people have asked this question), but most of the time, it's just random numbers culled from dubious sources (the internet's middle name :-).

For example, people have said "300 DPI is the only way to go, dude!!!!" like 290 would NEVER be enough and 310 would be EXTREME overkill. Where do they get this magic number? From photography discussion websites, most likely.

Note: we're not doing photography here. A very small percentage of the people here do photo-realistic images, but most don't. So picking a number, based on a different medium, is like oil-painting on watercolor paper.

No, really, it is... RobertSWade is selling his paintings, based on 100 DPI images. It fits his painting style, and when he looks at the images done by the printing companies he likes, they're fine. See his "Selling on Etsy" thread for the details.

So, what do you DO?

The answer is to try something and then get it printed out by your local/global/whatever printing company (or print it on your printer) and look at it. Happy? No? Try another resolution. Really. It's the only way to be sure.

Am I ranting? I hope so, my rants get raves :-).

Edit:

I guess I should apologize... that sounds a little tense, reading over it. I don't intend it to be obnoxious. It's just kind of one of those "How long is a piece of string?" kind of questions. Sorry...
    Last edited by yachris; 04-23-2009 at 08:04 PM.
    WARNING: ArtRage can cause serious loss of time, and excessive smiling! Use with care! Frequently!

“All creativity is an extended form of a joke.” – Alan Kay

Gallery
    View images
    Yachris - No problem, I've just made this thread in the Technical Support forum sticky, good idea!

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...d.php?p=176616
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design