ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: change file type?

change file type?

I have the free version of Artrage 2. is there a way to save a painting as anything other that a .ptg ? this file type isn't even reccognised by this website, much less elftown . (i have not yet tried uploading to deviantART). halp! i need some constructive crits on my art in a bad way, but that's tough when i cant save it as a "valid" image file.

You need the 'export' option, not the 'save' option. I can't remember if the free version has that.

oh, thank you so much!! (it's there, and it works, i just never noticed it before)

Took me ages to notice as well

You will also have to 'Import' to open anything that isn't a PTG file.

File Types

I would suggest that you export your paintings as .png because this massive file type does not lose quality over time: cutting, copying & pasting as well as zipping/unzipping. Working from these primary files you can then make further secondary copies saving in formats such as .Jpeg, etc for uploading to websites. Just keep your primary files in .png and keep a back up of these primary files on a USB stick/CD in case your computer crashes (but you knew that already).

Just a quick note on this: Please always save out a PTG of your file and use that to work from in ArtRage. PNG, JPEG, and all the other Exported files lack important information such as how much paint there is on the canvas, they only contain the colour on the canvas and that's only a small part of the information ArtRage uses.

If you work by exporting as PNG and importing again to paint more, you are losing data and your painting will lack some of the features that give the strokes their realism.

This is why Save doesn't save out as anything but PTG, we wanted to make sure that people didn't lose data by saving in more familiar formats. Export as many copies as you like to PNG but please always work from the PTG file for best effect.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Actually, if it's high quality you're after, export as PSD THEN create jpeg/png whatever versions, as that is the highest quality file I think you can get. And it saves the DPI.

You don't need to worry about this if you're just starting - but for later on...

Also, if you need to edit PSDs, GIMP works - http://www.gimp.org
    this might help if I've skipped anything - http://www.squidoo.com/artragepainting

Yea... finally! I couldn't for the life of me figure this out!

Thank you so much everyone!

Joanne