Thread: how to tell when oil paint is dry; what conditions?

Gallery
    View images

how to tell when oil paint is dry; what conditions?

I get the idea that you can knife oil paint only so much, then you're basically scraping canvas...and I know that if I still see the marks left by the brush hairs, there's enough thickness of paint to spread...but there are times when there ARE no brush artifacts..sometimes there's enough to knife, sometimes not.

I can add more pigment and resuming knifing, but I might not want to spoil what's there...it would be nice if I had a better grasp of how much time I have, or a clue as to how to set myself up with more pigment to play with.

I hope this question makes sense...thanks for any help.

a

Gallery
    View images
    The visual cues on paint thickness are as you describe, sometimes you won't be able to tell if there's enough media there to smear until you take the palette knife and use it, so your best bet is to give it a shot and if it doesn't work, you can click undo and add more paint.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images
    You can try using the eraser on 100% pressure and 0% softness. Punch holes with a mouse-click. On zoom 200% the edge of the hole illustrates how deep the paint is. Undo when done... See enclosed.

If you plan to use knife it is my experience that Oil... Thinners should allways be 0-50% with values round 30-45% working the best. Once you have thinner 51-100% in the paint it will very quickly get destroyed by knife marks. Also the knife pressure plays in.

Happy,
    DoodLS
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gallery
    View images
    that's a pretty clever method for checking!

thanks for that information, too!

archer