ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tablet painting techniques?

Gallery
    View images

Tablet painting techniques?

I have an Wacom Intuous3 tablet and I'm trying to do some sketching using ArtRage, but because I'm not used to the tablets I'm feeling strange. I mean, I'm looking to monitor and meantime my hand is drawing in tablet and this workflow is not so "precise" as I have expected. I do a lot of positioning mistakes.

Whats your experience with Intuous tablets and maybe can share somebody some tips&tricks to make the tablet drawing process less painfully. And I know, Wacom also have the Cintiq series, I tried one to a computer show, but they are just too expensive for my budget.

Gallery
    View images
    It is a question of practicing.

Of course there is still a difference to the real thing.

Don't worry, you will get used to it.
    Kunst muss nicht immer kompliziert sein!

Gallery
    View images

There's no real trick to it, but to do it.

I'd just give it some more time and practice. Things felt a little strange for me at first as well, but after a couple of weeks things just started to feel natural.

I'd suggest setting some time aside just to practice gesture sketching with the tablet. Try this... Head over to Posemaniacs and check out the "30 Second Drawing" link. It has a box there that puts up a different pose every 30 seconds for one to sketch out quickly. Set the page in a corner of the screen and ArtRage in the other and sketch the images as they are given. Do this a couple times a day for a few minutes or more and you'll likely get the hang of things quickly.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Gallery
    View images
    Yes just practice practice and practice....your brain will soon figure it out.
    You can view all my other artwork here http://spookyjules.blogspot.co.uk/

Gallery
    View images
    In the interest of being not entirely redundant :-) I'll add the following.

I first tried a friends' 6x8 Wacom. I didn't like it at all... it was just too big (and I was borrowing it for a weekend, so I didn't have time to do all the practicing I probably should have). So you might try another size, if you can.

I later bought a 4x5 and I love it. It did take a while to get used to, but if you think about it, you type without looking at the keyboard, so it's a similar thing.

And, yeah, practice. I was doing a lot of image editing when I first got my Wacom (hadn't found ArtRage yet) and one evening I suddenly noticed that I was easily and fluidly drawing/erasing/whatever right where I wanted to, just like it was natural or something :-). I still have to 'hunt' for the cursor sometimes, but once I've found it I'm good.
    WARNING: ArtRage can cause serious loss of time, and excessive smiling! Use with care! Frequently!

“All creativity is an extended form of a joke.” – Alan Kay

Gallery
    View images
    I have the Graphire 4 tablet. I have never gotten used to it. I would try working with it for a little bit and then get frustrated with the pointer moving to some place I did not want it to be. The comments here have given me incentive to try again and begin practicing more diligently. Most every painting and drawing I have done in Art Rage has been with the mouse. I bought the tablet with the idea of getting more precision which I still want. I will have to be more patient with myself.

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbi View Post
    I would try working with it for a little bit and then get frustrated with the pointer moving to some place I did not want it to be.
    That doesn't sound right. I'd check to see if the tablet was set up for "Pen Mode" or "Mouse Mode". If it was set for "Pen Mode", you might want to look into updating the drivers. The cursor should move along the screen in relation to it's position on the tablet, not and scoot about on it's own.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks for the advice. I will go to the Wacom site and see if I can upload new drivers. Thanks again!!

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbi View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I will go to the Wacom site and see if I can upload new drivers. Thanks again!!
    Yeah, do that. To elaborate a bit, on the modes:

Pen mode is relative to wherever you started (so if you start on the edge of the tablet you may run out of tablet), and mouse mode is relative to the actual screen (so if you place it on the edge, the cursor will jump to the edge). Pen mode can be a bit tricky to get used to.

My 2 pence - just got a Bamboo (A5 size, like my last - really cheap - one) slightly longer area, so that took a little adjustment.
    But I looove it Had to download new drivers of course.

I compare it to the 'drawing without looking at your paper' exercise. Except you can actually see what you're doing. But I think that's actually good practice, to train your coordination a bit ^_^

Gallery
    View images
    I found the driver site. But before I download that, I went to the tablet icon in the control panel. I looked around in that and tried resetting the pen so I tap and click instead of using the side buttons. For whatever reason that seemed to improve the movement of the cursor. I have it on mouse setting which seems to make the cursor more controlled. I can see I need to practice with it.