ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: art and depression

Post art and depression

Just recently I suffered from anxiety and depression caused by a silly ailment but distressing all the same. I was in a dark place for a while...no doctor could help me at that time. Avoiding the medication, I asked for some spiritual guidance...even though I am quite a sceptic with such things... I once again began painting...and painting and painting until I couldn't stop. Now, I am back in a good place again thanks to my art, everyday is another challenge and I don't waste a second of it.

So if you ever find yourself in a dark place, don't forget that art is a great tonic for the soul.
    You can view all my other artwork here http://spookyjules.blogspot.co.uk/

That is why I am here, Disabling back injury, depression and anxiety. Drawing seems to help.

Been there myself Jules. I'm so glad you bounced back. Thanks for speaking about it. Art is very good medicine.
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

Thanks for the reminder, and thanks for sharing such a personal expierence with an intent to benefit the rest of us. Keep painting and be well. Best, Byron
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

I'm sorry to hear about your painful back injury GenghisShawn

Horrible isn't it Fashmir, I'm glad you are ok now.

Thanks byroncallas

If you never experience the deep lows of life then you rarely find the great highs either... Most of the greatest, innovative artists and musicians were borderline manic depressives... some were way over the border... My own experience of having something to fill the hours when I could be just sat there thinking myself into a black hole agrees with you... Plus the Artrage bonus of not having to clear up a depressing mess and cleaning brushes. And, of course the forum and and the mix of people to offer encouragement and make you laugh....

Doctors should prescribe Artrage!...

Glad you´re feeling better, Jules! And you´re so right!

AR (or any form of art) is the perfect release from anxiety or depression. Emerge yourself in a project and there´s no room for thinking about anything else. And fraser´s comment was apt: if you haven´t known the lows, how can you enjoy the highs. Same sort of idea that Keats explored in his great Odes.
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.

It is something that one of the co-founders of psychotherapy ... Carl Jung ... understood very well. Art as therapy has since been a mainstream treatment aid, especially for depression.
    Without naming names, I've seen it happen here time after time, and it is a side benefit of the ArtRage Forum experience that I'm thinking the Rage Brothers did not anticipate.
    Jules, I sensed from my earliest days here that you are a deeply spiritual person and on that level I have always felt a connection to you and have lamented the times that you have not been here with us. I'm guessing that it was not easy for you to share your personal travails with us and I admire you for having the courage to do that. You'll never know how many people you may have helped by opening up and possibly giving others the courage to do so in some way.
    Welcome back and please know that you have more friends here than you probably realize.
    Last edited by RobertSWade; 04-12-2009 at 04:35 AM.

Hey Jules!

Glad you found some good additional use for the site. I think every artist, let alone everybody living, is susceptible to depression. Yours truly as well.

It comes with bodies that are made up of chemicals. Sometimes the balance gets skewed. But we often can regulate that chemistry by doing things that generate a favorable balance.

No doubt you have heard about the "Cycle of Depression" or some variation thereof -- where something happens in one's life that sets off a very known series of downward moving emotions. And keeping to the same behavior does nothing to break that all-to-familiar downward spiral. . . otherwise we would have possibly lifted before this happens and thus it would not be a pattern at all. So . . . break the pattern, break the cycle, re-enforce the positive. . . and we have a tool for breaking the depression.

I think that is one of the tool choices in ArtRage3, though we're not supposed to be talking about the Beta. . . haha

I'm with the group -- this is more than just about art, unless you consider Life as Art, which is sometimes elusive, but nevertheless aiming in the right direction. And Robert with his reference to Carl Jung brought up one of my all time favorite patron saints of Art as a way of exploring the inner landscape. And I just LOVE the landscapes painted in there. Impressionist lighting is nothing compared to that inner lighting.

And I will make a personal comment about the spiritual side you alluded to looking at . . . explore it. I'm not so sure that we aren't given these challenging experiences in order to help clarify a direction and open up areas within ourselves that we may have denied, for one reason or the other. For me it's unquestionably come to be the most important and sustained quest of my life. And I don't care who thinks what about it. It's often about what we bring to it. And forms are merely forms, ways of getting a handle on some essential though often intangible parts of ourselves and more. Sounds a bit like Art, doesn't it.

Anyway, great to see you again.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

I'm deeply touch and completely lost for words, thank you everybody for such great and kind words! There ARE some genuine people out there!

As an ex-student of (para)psychology I totally understand where you are all coming from and yes Robert I am a spiritual person, although I've lost may way a little after my scientific studies, but I am getting back on track with the spiritual side, maybe channelling some great artist in the process, or at least getting some spiritual experience though art.

DAkey, sorry to hear you've experienced it too.

Hopefully we are all on an upward spiral.

Artrage...patron saint of art hehe..

Roll on number 3.