Thread: some issues I encounter on Artrage without knowing how to avoid them...

some issues I encounter on Artrage without knowing how to avoid them...

Hi friends,

I will explain here some issues I encounter on artrage and one that is specifically annoying to me... ^^

Well, if you've seen my gallery, you should have seen that I have few control on my strokes due to a bunch of reasons and the first one is I still don't manage to draw on my tablet like I use to draw on a paper... and for this I am a massive undo maker (master some times lol) and sometimes when doing an undo then Artrage crashes to desktop, then I start anew clicking one more time on artrage icon on dock and then restarting all the drawinf from scratch (zero, nada, well imagine me after 3 hours of work going nuts after these crashes )

So this is the first issue... random crashes after 4 or 5 undo ^^

the second one should be simplier to explain...
    When I want to fill a layer, I have to increase the size of my brush, and a lot of time bigger than the 100 value... so I put a value of 500 for example and then it iiiis Slooooow as hell... well I know that on photoshop it is a problem I knew when doing a A3 document at 250 or 300dpi or more depending on works... but here at 1200x1000 150dpi it sometimes surprises me... is it normal ? is there a way to achieve this simply and fast ?

I put here the specs of my computer and version of artrage if of any help
    imac2.8 24p
    4gig ram
    wacom intuos 3
    under osx 10.5.6
    and latest artrage version 2.5.20

Thank you for your time spent on reading it and for your answers...

Pedro
    ...Life is a rainbow born from both rain and sun in order to show us its bright colors... Life is like that too from rain to sunshine... and at the end a bright colorful path you've walked on...

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Pedro!

Can you email me at support@ambientdesign.com with a crash report when you next get an undo crash? This should give us some details to look at so that we can try and find out what is happening for you.

Some tools can be slow at large brush sizes depending on system specs, which relates more to the brush size itself than just the document. For example, with a small document, if you use the smooth blending option of the palette knife at 500%, this requires a lot of calculation so will tend to be slow.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Hi Dave and thank you for having replied to this questions...

Well I have just send a mail to you with the report, just waiting to know if I can bear the title of nooby bug finder héhé

and as for the slow downs with bigger sized brushes, I knew by being a massive photoshop user that the knife such as smudges and smear options requires a massive amount of memory :s but I was amazed to see this on the paintbrush (oil) and at the same moment the chalk seems to be ok... airbrush tends also to have a bigger memory comsumption than the chalk one...

well thanks in advance for the undo problem

I'm looking forward to hearing from it soon ,)

cheers

Pedro
    ...Life is a rainbow born from both rain and sun in order to show us its bright colors... Life is like that too from rain to sunshine... and at the end a bright colorful path you've walked on...

Gallery
    View images
    4 gig ram is top notch for home computer, i still have 2...
    I am wondering how much is involved the graphic chipset, i mean, is it better to have a powerful card with dedicated memory to use ArtRage? Is it better to use 3d card? Personally it never crashed to me, but i do encounter some heavy slow down and sometimes some real computing while several seconds after a large brush stroke. It's quite fluid though and i was wondering if it's most because of my Radeon with 512 dedicated ram... + cpu and system rams.
    Last edited by orbital_chiller; 04-14-2009 at 12:25 AM.

Gallery
    View images
    ArtRage isn't going to be heavily utilising your video chipset, we don't currently use hardware acceleration. The main issue with oversize tool speed is going to be sheer processing power rather than RAM due to the calculations involved, especially with the airbrush and soft palette knife.

These sizes are provided as an additional feature which can't normally be accessed via the interface ( the numbers have to be entered manually ) in realisation that some tools can be slow when used at large sizes.

Thanks for the crash report, Pedro! We'll take a look at that and email you back.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images
    Yeah, i didn't understood before this topic we could enter manually a bigger than 100 brush stroke value. Well, i won't do it anytime soon... my pc risk to calculate a brush strokes while a whole weekend

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveRage View Post
    ArtRage isn't going to be heavily utilising your video chipset, we don't currently use hardware acceleration. The main issue with oversize tool speed is going to be sheer processing power rather than RAM due to the calculations involved, especially with the airbrush and soft palette knife.
    That's interesting, and will help me adjust to cope
    And makes me feel a little better about my 16mb graphics card

Gallery
    View images
    For megabig strokes - usually used for filling large areas of one color - I can recommend a few strokes using the paint roller. DoodLS