ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Export Image Problem

Export Image Problem

I love the feel and look of ArtRage however no matter what format I choose to export a file in the quality is really poor. If I take a screen shot of an image it then can be pasted into painterX or corel draw or photoshop but if I just use the internal command to transfer an image to clip board it will look really low resolution. It is possible to create an image in painterX and then import it into ArtRage and it will look fine. It seems only to be a problem when you try to move an image out of ArtRage. I am working on a fairly new machine running windows vista home basic. I have the most recent update of ArtRage or at least that is what it tells me when I first open the program. What is the key to maintaining a high resolution image when you export it? I have tried exporting it as a photoshop image and it still becomes out grainy and low quality. I see other users seem to be able to export and import their art work from program to program without a problem. What am I doing wrong? Thanx for any help you can offer me, FIL

Hi Fil,
    Two suggestions that I hope will help:
    1) Make a larger sized image in ArtRage (File - New Painting).
    2) Export your images as PNG files.
    Have fun.

Hi FIL,

No compression is done on PSDs, they're the same quality pixelwise as ArtRage's own file format. What you're seeing may be due to different gamma settings or colour management in different programs, the actual image should be the same.

After exporting a .PSD, try opening the PSD again in ArtRage via File -> Import and verify that it looks the same as the painting you exported from.

Feel free to send me a small sample .psd exported from ArtRage and the .ptg ArtRage painting it was exported from to support@ambientdesign.com. I can compare the images here to see what I can see.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Hi again,
    On further investigation I found I was able to export in .psd and open stuff in photoshop with no aparent quality loss. It seems to be only relative to Corel PainterX and CorelDRAW. So maybe it is a Corel gama type issue and not an ArtRage issue at all. Even after creating a file in ArtRage opening it in Photoshop, resaving it and then opening it in Corel PainterX it looks all gritty and low quality. Still doesn`t solve my problem but maybe there is no solution with regard to "something I'm doing wrong". Thank you for the help.

If it's related to colour management, while I'm not well versed in Painter, you could check if there's an option to disable colour management for that document in the software and see if that improves things for you. Otherwise, Corel support may be able to give some pointers on what might be causing the different appearance when loading files saved from ArtRage and Photoshop. I hope that's of some help anyway!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design