ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: How to print white line drawing in black background?

Gallery
    View images

How to print white line drawing in black background?

I am wondering if i can print white line drawing in black background or black paper in this case.

How can i do that in Artrage? Thanks.

Gallery
    View images
    If you want black paper, right click on the background layer in your layer panel to the right to bring up the layer menu, choose 'Edit Paper settings'. You'll see a bunch of paper settings dials and an item called 'Colour. Click on the white circle above Colour, select black then click OK. Your paper will now be black. You'll see the same options when starting a new painting 'File --> New Painting'
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveRage View Post
    If you want black paper, right click on the background layer in your layer panel to the right to bring up the layer menu, choose 'Edit Paper settings'. You'll see a bunch of paper settings dials and an item called 'Colour. Click on the white circle above Colour, select black then click OK. Your paper will now be black. You'll see the same options when starting a new painting 'File --> New Painting'
    Thanks for telling me how to change the paper (background) color when i am painting or drawing something.

Yet, i have one more question that puzzles me, which is, how can i get my drawing full of white lines printed on a black paper. Please correct me if what i am going to say below ( or do as well ) is wrong:

1) First, i draw something on my black background in Artrage in white line or white ink

2) Then, i change the the black background to white color and get ready for printout ( at this stage, when i check my print preview, it should be completely white since my drawing which is in white color is of the same color as the background which is also white). The reason to change the black background to white is to make sure that it will not waste all the ink to fill up the paper in the printer when printing

3) Finally, i just put a black colored paper into my printer so that the white ink will show up on it. And by doing so, i can get my white ink drawing on a black paper in hardcopy.

Is what i am thinking is right? Or is there any other simpler way to do what i intend to do? Thanks.

Gallery
    View images
    Your printer does not have the ability to print white. When you print a picture on white paper, the white comes from there being no ink on the paper at that place - the printer did not print white.

So, when you print on black paper, the same thing occurs. The printer simply does not print anything where there is white in the picture. Since the paper is black, you see black.

No normal, home printer will print white. For this, you would need to use a special, typically commercial printer.

As you noted in your post, you could also leave the black background on in AR and print the black as part of the picture. This does use up a lot of ink, but it is the only way I know of for you to accomplish this with a normal printer.

David
    David Z

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by drzeller View Post
    Your printer does not have the ability to print white. When you print a picture on white paper, the white comes from there being no ink on the paper at that place - the printer did not print white.

So, when you print on black paper, the same thing occurs. The printer simply does not print anything where there is white in the picture. Since the paper is black, you see black.

No normal, home printer will print white. For this, you would need to use a special, typically commercial printer.

As you noted in your post, you could also leave the black background on in AR and print the black as part of the picture. This does use up a lot of ink, but it is the only way I know of for you to accomplish this with a normal printer.

David
    Thanks for pinpointing my "blind spot" in regards to the "white ink" issue.
    There is no such thing as WHITE INK.

Thanks a lot for solving my puzzle!