ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: macbook pro or macbook?

macbook pro or macbook?

Hi all

I could use abit of advice. I'm thinking of switching to mac for my next laptop.

I'm kinda leaning towards the macbook pro, but it is expensive (almost twice to price of the macbook). I'm just worried that the macbook is not capable of handling the kind of paintings I normally do (a4+ 300 dpi and multiple layers) in AR, Photoshop and occationally Painter.

I'm not so worried about screen size, as the laptop will mostly be switched on to my 24" dell for serious work - but ofcourse the 15" screen on the macbook pro should be nice to work with compared to the 13" of the macbook. But it's not a deciding factor.

I would be happy to be able to run a couple of games on it. But again thats not a deciding factor. I mostly play the newest games on my console anyways. However, to be able to play an hour or two of World of Warcraft, or another not so gfx-demanding game, would be nice though.

looking forward to some nice communication
    cheers,
    Peter
    Lead Concept Artist - NDS Denmark
    Illustrator
    www.petervillumsen.com

Hi PVI, I'm a long time Mac user, either will suit you for your purposes, multiple layers, PS, AR & Painter.... Just get lots of RAM. (I cannot speak for games, as I rarely play them) But all my stuff ran fine on the fist generation MacBook pro and I'm now using the second generation ModBook which is a reconfigured MacBook. I love it, people who know me understand that this is my tool of choice for everything. It is very pricy though.

If money is no object get the pro, fill it with ram and you'll be a very happy artist. Good luck.
    Susan Murtaugh satisfied user (ArtRage)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/suzi54241/

I switched to a Mac mini (which is basically the same machine as a macbook) with 2 Gb of ram some year and half ago (so, your new MB will probably be a bit faster). I have no problem working with Art Rage and Corel Painter X open at the same session. My only care is to restart before painting if I was using Firefox a lot, because it tends to take too much memory.
    I don't play games but I understand (from Mac users forum) that the standard Intel graphic card provided with these models is not good for the intensive demand of heavy games.
    It's a good idea to become bember of a mac users forum to seek advice for switchers on OSX way of work, useful free applications, etc (I did to an Agentine forum and found a lot of helpful people). After a while I almost forgotten of my Windows past life. Good luck!
    Nulla die sine linea
    http://bobrow.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by PVIllustration View Post
    Hi all

I could use abit of advice. I'm thinking of switching to mac for my next laptop.

I'm kinda leaning towards the macbook pro, but it is expensive (almost twice to price of the macbook). I'm just worried that the macbook is not capable of handling the kind of paintings I normally do (a4+ 300 dpi and multiple layers) in AR, Photoshop and occationally Painter.

I'm not so worried about screen size, as the laptop will mostly be switched on to my 24" dell for serious work - but ofcourse the 15" screen on the macbook pro should be nice to work with compared to the 13" of the macbook. But it's not a deciding factor.

I would be happy to be able to run a couple of games on it. But again thats not a deciding factor. I mostly play the newest games on my console anyways. However, to be able to play an hour or two of World of Warcraft, or another not so gfx-demanding game, would be nice though.

looking forward to some nice communication
    cheers,
    Peter
    Out of curiosity, what are your reasons for switching to mac?

hi all, thanks for chipping in.

I think I've set my mind on the 'lower end' 15" macbook pro. Based on what I heard over at conceptart.org and read on notebookreview.com. I also went to the local mac store and got abit of feedback.

I would really like the antiglossy screen for it, but that's not available yet in Denmark for the 15" version. Only for the 17". that sucks, but Apple might change this soon. Here's hoping.

suziQ - that's a nice piece of hardware you got there. Looks very nice. I also have a tabletPC (which my gf will inherit once I get the mac) and know how nice it is use for sketching etc. I hope to be able to borrow it from time to time.

Bob - I considered the MacMini also, which now has a beefier cpu (comparable to the macbook), but I just like not to be stuck at one place to work, write emails, browse internet etc.. Therefore a notebook it has to be. Good to hear the performance is nice on it. Should be atleast as good on the macbook pro then.

Dman - that is indeed a very good question. I'm not really sure I can answer that one really. I think alot of it actually comes from seeing friends working on mac. How effortless the MacOS seem to be (I know it quite good actually). Maybe it's just because I need abit of fresh air after all these years with Windows. I also want a platform that is not-so gaminish. I mean, I like to play, and not to be able to play every other game is a good thing for me. I easily get addicted to it. Abit of WoW I can control. I'm sure that since it's harde to even find games for a Mac it will help my productivity as well. And yeah, I'm also a sucker for their sexiness.

Sweedie - I know you can get equally performing machines for less money. But usually the build quality is what you pay for. as well. Screens that glow at the edges, quirky keyboards etc. The HP tabletPC I have is great and cost (2 years ago) around the same as the MacbookPro, but is not of the same buildquality. The fact is that only Lenovo has the same (or even better) build quality that Apple's notebooks.
    The LG you have seems nice and almost comparable in specs to the macbookpro, but not quite. Atleast according to the the info I have gathered. Screen is abit smaller, but not by much and the resolution is also abit smaller. GFX-card in the MacbookPro is also faster, which will help if need to do abit of 3D-graphics. The macbook pro takes atleast 4GB of memory (which will all be used by the OS, unlike windowsXP).

cheers,
    Peter
    Lead Concept Artist - NDS Denmark
    Illustrator
    www.petervillumsen.com

irishrose Guest
    Peter, I have the same one, the 15 inch MacBook Pro, never had a problem, 2 yrs now, it HUMS like a bird... it's great!!!! You can't go wrong there... and no viruses like stinkin Microsoft stuff.