Thread: Cherry Blossoms WIP/Critique request

Gallery
    View images

Cherry Blossoms WIP/Critique request

Hello,

This is partway done... I decided to trace a photo since I was tired that night :-) and then try to get a kind of flat, watercolor look.

The kinda-like-wood background is just a placeholder.

Any critiques/ideas/etc. welcome... THANKS!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    WARNING: ArtRage can cause serious loss of time, and excessive smiling! Use with care! Frequently!

“All creativity is an extended form of a joke.” – Alan Kay

Gallery
    View images
    Hey yachris. Looks like a good start. There is a lot you could do with this. Are you looking to mainly duplicate the image in the photo? Are you wanting to do more with it?
    "The significance is hiding in the insignificant. Appreciate everything."
    — Eckhart Tolle

Gallery
    View images
    Fine start...Looking good..

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks both. Sketchism, you've probably hit the nail on the head... I'm not entirely sure where I want to go with this. I definitely don't want to copy the photo... or I'd be dead already :-). Those who know cherry-blossoms know I've edited out about 60% of the blossoms. Oh yeah, the vase is crackled glass, maybe someday I'll tackle that!
    WARNING: ArtRage can cause serious loss of time, and excessive smiling! Use with care! Frequently!

Gallery
    View images
    whatever you decide to do Yachris... Don't give up on it. It has awesome potential. One thing I enjoyed about posting my last piece here in the WIP forum is that I think I may have lost my way a few times and started a different project. The comments and suggestions helped fuel me through it to the bitter end. Good luck!
    "The significance is hiding in the insignificant. Appreciate everything."
    — Eckhart Tolle

Gallery
    View images
    Sketchism -- thanks for the atta-boy.

It's interesting; I think I know why I don't particularly like this one. I started out doing watercolor; I discovered that I don't *think* like a watercolorist should. In particular, I like opaque media because I often want to do substantial changes, including light over dark.

So ArtRage gives me a real fine eraser, and layers, so that shouldn't be it... but then I realized that I also don't like filling in pre-drawn outlines! I just love the push and pull of working all over the image, changing the bits of the composition as I go, and playing in the paint :-).

So yeah, I will finish it because I *do* want to see the final image :-) but I'm not loving it like I do with the chalk or paint tools. Funny how these things work out...!