Thread: Color Sampling problem

Gallery
    View images

Color Sampling problem

When I use the color sampler to get a color from a reference image and then apply it to my picture, it isn't the same color at all.

It is much darker and not even the same tone.

Is this a known problem?

Is there a solution?
    My artistic ability is strained to draw stick figures.

I sit here in front of the computer in awe of the talent displayed by the posters in Art Rage.

Gallery
    View images
    It's not a problem I've heard of before, so we'll need some more information because there are a number of things that could cause this:

Did you have a tracing image loaded at the time and was colour set to use tracing image colour? That would change the colour applied regardless of sampling.

When you alt-clicked to sample colour in the reference, did the colour picker update to indicate the colour you clicked or another colour? If it was another colour, was that other colour in your reference at all, near to the colour clicked?

What tool did you paint with? Different tools can do different things to the colour being applied.

Do you have Metallic paint turned on? That can also change the colour.

Is the Layer you are painting to using the Normal blend mode? Other blend modes will change the colour of paint applied. Similarly, if you're painting under a layer on top that may change the colour.

If you start ArtRage from scratch with no painting loaded, just load a reference image and sample, make sure that the Metallic slider is all the way to left and then paint, does it do it then or is it only in specific paintings?

That should help us narrow down what you're seeing.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Gallery
    View images

Color sampling problem - report

Okay, I reviewed the items below and can report that I < did > have a tracing image loaded also.

I removed it but it didn't solve the problem.

Metallic Paint is off.

So I started with a new painting and loaded only the reference image and when I alt-click on it the color in the color picker changes but the color there is much darker than the color I am clicking on.

The layer is using Normal blending mode.

I tried with the the brush and with the airbrush ... same thing no matter what tool.

Of course when I click on a spot in the reference image, the color my eye is seeing is actually an average of the pixels in the area. It seems like the picker is grabbing the darkest possible pixel from the sampling area.

I will attach a screen shot I just made where I put the reference image close to the color picker and the did a sample pass with the brush on top and the airbrush underneath on the canvas so you can see how much darker the color shows up in the color sampler and also paints. I had alt-clicked on the orange stamen and the color comes up much darker and redder.

I reduced the size of the screen shot to 800 X 600 thinking it would fit the board better perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by MattRage View Post
    It's not a problem I've heard of before, so we'll need some more information because there are a number of things that could cause this:

Did you have a tracing image loaded at the time and was colour set to use tracing image colour? That would change the colour applied regardless of sampling.

When you alt-clicked to sample colour in the reference, did the colour picker update to indicate the colour you clicked or another colour? If it was another colour, was that other colour in your reference at all, near to the colour clicked?

What tool did you paint with? Different tools can do different things to the colour being applied.

Do you have Metallic paint turned on? That can also change the colour.

Is the Layer you are painting to using the Normal blend mode? Other blend modes will change the colour of paint applied. Similarly, if you're painting under a layer on top that may change the colour.

If you start ArtRage from scratch with no painting loaded, just load a reference image and sample, make sure that the Metallic slider is all the way to left and then paint, does it do it then or is it only in specific paintings?

That should help us narrow down what you're seeing.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I sit here in front of the computer in awe of the talent displayed by the posters in Art Rage.

Gallery
    View images
    Given that the screenshot is a jpeg and shrunk somewhat it's hard to be precise but a pixel comparison in Photoshop doesn't show problems there. There is some slight variance in the luminance and saturation as you'd expect because the paint stroke has shading for lighting and the bottom one has transparency, but the hue varies no more than a degree or two (again expected).

Because I can't tell exactly which point in your reference you clicked I can't tell if it's absolutely spot on but in poking around the appropriate orange areas of the flower I get results that look in range for the paint strokes you have and the sampled colour at the bottom right. Unless you know precisely which pixel you clicked to get the colour at the bottom right corner it'd be hard to say there was a problem, and my eyes certainly aren't showing me any unexpected difference in the values of the paint stroke there, the pixel values are way too close for that. Try changing your background colour to a neutral gray so that it doesn't change the perception of the central colour.

If you still believe there's a problem after doing that, please create a reference image containing one colour only (if you need to do this in ArtRage, turn off the Lighting system using F5 then use the roller to paint a single colour in flat to a 500 x 500 image and export as a PNG). Load that, alt-click in it to sample it and paint an oil stroke then take a screenshot and email that to support@ambientdesign.com and we'll take a look at the colour values.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Gallery
    View images

Problem solved

When I followed your instructions in the above message, it came out looking ok. No problem.

So I decided the problem probably lay with the reference image. It was on a black background and the flower petals were actually bluish grey although they look pretty white.

So I made a black background layer and stuck into my pic and that brightened the colors way way up. Made a huge difference.

Also turning off lighting changed things too.

I found out the problem wasn't with the program, but with mostly with the background. Still didn't seem to be a perfect match but very close. Good enough for my doodling.

Thanks very much for your patience and help. Much appreciated.

The great support is another reason why everyone will buy Artrage 3.