Thread: Artrage on Classmate convertible tablet - bug

Gallery
    View images

Artrage on Classmate convertible tablet - bug

Hello,

My kids are loving Artrage, which came bundled on their new Classmate convertible tablet netbooks. However they have the problem documented in thread 8241 (Entitled "Possible bug when double clicking to open Artrage file" - I'd link to it but the forum software won't let me). It's not possible to open Artrage files from Windows Explorer.

The recommended solution is to reinstall - but it was pre-installed on the machines so we don't know the registration number. Can you help?

Gallery
    View images
    I would recommend right clicking a ptg file, selecting 'Open with' from the list, selecting ArtRage, then checking the box which says to always use this application to open this file type.

We won't have access to your registration details or the ability to reinstall the software which came preinstalled on the Classmate PC, but it sounds like the file association for ArtRage files is incorrect on the systems, so using the above method should enable you to correct that.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images

Not a file association problem

Hi, thanks for responding so quickly. Unfortunately it doesn't appear to be a file association problem. When I right-click and select Open With, Artrage 2.5 is already the default. If I click OK the same thing happens as when I doubleclick an Artrage file in Explorer - described by another user here:

/forums/showthread.php?t=8241

That is, Windows tries to install Artrage instead of launching it.

In the other thread you recommended reinstalling Artrage, which worked for that user. It doesn't sound like I'll be able to do that, which is a shame.

Regards,

V.

Gallery
    View images
    Has anything been moved regarding ArtRage? e.g. the Start Menu icon for ArtRage - is it still in its default location ( in the folder 'ArtRage 2' under all programs in the Start Menu ) or somewhere else?

The behavior you're describing, where the installer is launching when a ptg file is double clicked can happen if components of the default install have been moved ( such as the Start Menu item ). If the Start Menu item is not in that location, try moving it on one of the PCs to then double clicking a ptg file to see if that was it.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images
    If you re-install over an existing installation, are you prompted for your license? I didn't think you were. (I know, I could try it, but I didn't!)

D.
    David Z