Thread: Sucked In - first work

Sucked In - first work

I recently decided I wanted to learn to draw. I can't take any classes until later this year, but I've been practicing on my own. I just today made my first complete work. It still needs improvement, and added detail, but it's only a first draft. I'm still proud of it. I figured it would be good to get feedback from others, as that's one of the best ways I've found to improve. so here is my picture, Sucked In

I used the sphere stencil only to refine the circle I had already made and to help the shading of the globe, and the black hole was done with a mix of the oil brush, air brush, crayon, and knife tools. the background is the chalk tool with black airbrushing over it to make it darker. I didn't even realize how starry it looked until half way through, but I like it now that I have. I really don't like how the bottom is blank like that, but I didn't want to clutter the image with something random that would take away from the original image.

It may not look like the image is in a low quality setting, because I had to re-save the image as a jpeg with lower quality so the file qouldn't be too big to upload here.

EDIT: yes I realize the planet has a northern ice cap but not a southern ice cap. I am fixing that in my next version, as well as all fo the things you guys suggest.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sucked in V1.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	115.9 KB 
ID:	26267  

Last edited by berky93; 03-30-2009 at 03:57 AM.

Gallery
    View images
    Not bad. However, bear in mind a planet have an atmosphery and clouds. which will be interresting to paint while those are sucked out by the black hole.
    Atmosphery and clouds are different "layers" which mean you got a sphere atmosphery which include a little smaller sphere "clouds" which include the planet sphere. You can do it on only one layer, though it would be more comfortable on 2. Let me know if you want a tutorial.
    If you juste decided to learn to draw, there is no secret, you have to sketch from life a lot: tables, fruits, object... and then soon starting to study anatomy. Good work!

thanks! you know, I completely forgot about the clouds and atmosphere. although I already have an idea in my head how I want to do that. I think my past experience with photoshop and graphic design has helped me get a "fee" for how things should look and how to fix them if they don't look that way. Although I still have a lot to learn.

one thing though, is there a way to use the knife tool on one specific layer without affecting the others? I looked in the documentation but I may have missed it.
    Last edited by berky93; 03-30-2009 at 09:33 PM.

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by berky93 View Post
    one thing though, is there a way to use the knife tool on one specific layer without affecting the others? I looked in the documentation but I may have missed it.
    You affect other layers while working with the knife tool on one?

Gallery
    View images
    Welcome to here Berky. Interesting idea and execution. I wouldn't worry too much about how the event horizion would affect the relative apple skin of atmosphere.

Gallery
    View images
    Hey Berky...Welcome. Excellent first post, especially for just starting. Looks like you have some natural talent. Since you posted this in the critique forum I feel a little obligated to do so. One thing you could have done is centered the planet and the black hole more mid-line instead of towards the top of the canvas. Too much empty space below that draws the eye away from all the action. Great colors, great concept, Keep it up!
    "The significance is hiding in the insignificant. Appreciate everything."
    — Eckhart Tolle

Gallery
    View images
    Hey Berky -- welcome! Glad you're diving in. You might want to check out the book "Drawing on the right side of the brain" from your library. It's a fantastic class-in-a-book in not only drawing, but (in a way) how to think about drawing. Helped me immensely (particularly as I went through its lessons just before and during a class which was NOT good... so I was glad I had at least one good teacher then :-).
    WARNING: ArtRage can cause serious loss of time, and excessive smiling! Use with care! Frequently!

“All creativity is an extended form of a joke.” – Alan Kay

Quote Originally Posted by Sketchism71 View Post
    Hey Berky...Welcome. Excellent first post, especially for just starting. Looks like you have some natural talent. Since you posted this in the critique forum I feel a little obligated to do so. One thing you could have done is centered the planet and the black hole more mid-line instead of towards the top of the canvas. Too much empty space below that draws the eye away from all the action. Great colors, great concept, Keep it up!
    yeah thanks for the tip - I made the planet first, thinking I was going to put the black hole lower and more centered, but it just didnt end up that way.

and yeah, my knife tool affects all layers. even hidden ones. I thought it always did that, and that it was maybe just a feature that I would realize the usefulness of as I progressed. maybe not...

and I'll definitely check out that book as soon as I can!. thanks for the tips!