ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Questions Re: License

Gallery
    View images

Questions Re: License

I am considering purchasing the full edition but I have some questions regarding the license first:

1. In the FAQ it says I can install it on a second personal computer for my own use, does the program employ any kind of DRM to enforce limits? If I continuously re-install the app on the same computer (from reformats, etc) or on different computers but no more than 2 at any given time would this be a problem? i.e. is it more like Spore or more like Crayon Physics?

2. Is the license for a specific version of the program (v.2.5) or do I get all future updates too (v.3, etc)?

Thanks!

Gallery
    View images
    Hi there! ArtRage uses a registration key for licensing the software, so you need to enter that the first time you launch the app. You would be able to reinstall the software as many times as you want on your computers for your own use, it's not going to prevent that. So having a crash and having to reformat or buying a new computer isn't going to cause you to hit some sort of licensing problem.

The license is for ArtRage 2.x. When we release 3 there will be some sort of upgrade cost although the specifics haven't been decided yet. Everyone who's purchased ArtRage 2.02 in 2006 has had all the updates so far for free as an example.

I hope that helps. You're also welcome to email me directly at support@ambientdesign.com if you have any further questions - always happy to answer 'em!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images
    ArtRage doesn't emply DRM, and you can re-install any number of times using the installer. If you're installing on a second computer, so long as that is for your personal use only, you are not in breach of the software license.

The license you are purchasing is only for ArtRage 2.5
    We've given free updates from ArtRage 2.0 to 2.5, but ArtRage 3.0 will be a major new update. ArtRage 3 is liable to be a more expensive application than ArtRage 2.5 although we haven't set the pricing yet.
    For people purchasing ArtRage 2.5 from now on there will be an incremental upgrade price. Which means that you wont be penalized for purchasing ArtRage 2.5 while we finish working on ArtRage 3 - we will offer an upgrade price for new purchasers of ArtRage 2.5 to upgrade to ArtRage 3 so the total cost will only be what the new purchase price of ArtRage 3 would be.
    And the license for ArtRage 3 will likely cover minor updates (you should see what we have planned for ArtRage 3.5 ).
    So if you buy now you're going to have all the features and exciting things that we haven't even thought of yet, until we get to ArtRage 4 (however many years away that is).
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    wow thanks for the quick response!

if i'm understanding correctly, purchasing artrage 2.5 right now and then upgrading to 3 when it's released will cost exactly the same as if i were to wait for version 3 to be released and then purchasing it?

Gallery
    View images
    We haven't finalised our upgrade policy yet, as the next version of the product is only in early beta, but we are aiming to make it as easy as possible to upgrade and an incremental upgrade price as Andy mentioned above is our current goal.

We should be able to announce some decisions on this soonish but until then we can't guarantee anything, there's a lot of stuff left to be sorted out before we can put anything on paper as it were!
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.