Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Less primitive blending tools?

Less primitive blending tools?

At the moment my only rant about artrage is that the blending tools, in comparison to any other painting based program (even photoshop!) are obsolete. To put this in context, when blending skin tones I may want a specular highlight on the subjects forehead, and a small gradation outwards to the midtone or secondary highlight.

Because the value differences in the specular highlight and midtone, the artrage palette knife assumes 'creating' an inbetween colour will help me out, and in some cases a completely random inbetween colour like a saturated pink/orange/red, which is incredibly annoying, because without destroying what form I had built up I have no way of undoing this mess (without ctrl+z'ing 50 times).

My suggestion to you Mr/Mrs Art Rage, give me a blending tool that blends properly (and doesn't blow my PC up because it lags so bad [<- soft palette knife]).

Also while I'm on the subject, the 'Flat' palette knife, I find, in most instances blends ONLY with the edges of the knife, leaving a plasticy, watery looking mark in between the too edge blended thingys.. kinda' annoying because I am meant to be using a FLAT knife.

Hope the aforementioned made sense.. thanks for reading
    http://shap00pi.deviantart.com/
    the moment you admit your good, is the day you stop trying

Gallery
    View images
    Ditto on that, Artrage needs a 'just add water' tool like Painter Classic,
    which came free with my Wacom Graphire. Also (hijacks thread) a movable
    color picker, it's too far to reach down there in the corner. Artrage is good
    for oil painting, but for airbrush Painter Classic is better.

Gallery
    View images
    Dear Sweedie, the best ArtRage tools are the generous members that help out technically challenged folks like me with great information, Thank You!

Gallery
    View images
    I like the way that AR blends oil colors-eventhough it seems a bit unpredictable at times.

Sometimes though, in certain styles of coloring, one might need a smoother and more accurate (less realistic?) way of blending. The best example of such color blending i think is in japanese applications such as 4paint and paint tool sai,which currently are only avaiable for windows. Their watercolor brush/brush engine simply gives the user the ability to smoothly mix color and blend two colors-get the value between them smoothly. You get to choose the value of blending,thickness and so on ..
    paint tool sai's brush engine,although not pretending to be realistic emulation of materials,is quite powerful and gives the user the ability to tune many easy to understand values,add brush shapes and so on. If Artrage had a similar digital brush tool that gives the user the ability to do the same things,I think that would give a new level of complexity to artrage,but it will make it a lot more powerful- a digital,customisable brush that can be set to anything- draw,blend,smooth,erase

Gallery
    View images
    There's a tonne of blending tools. In addition to the palette knife and the crayons, you can also use the brush with 0% loading. Turn down pressure to get more variance and turn up thinners to get a smoother result. Turn on insta-dry to slow everything down a lot to get an even smoother outcome. You can do something similar with the paint roller to get longer, smooth but varied gradients.

Gallery
    View images
    @ sweedie and danny
    I have tried what you both said but there's always a little loading that happens..of whatever color that might be on..is it because I'm using a stylus? or is it something that's supposed to happen?
    Also I've used the 0% loaded brush and it's either not a smooth blend (streaks visisble in paint) or nothing much happens..
    am I doing something wrong?

Gallery
    View images
    Completely agree, while ArtRage's brush effects are all very pretty the blending is rather unpredictable.

What oils were you guys using when making ArtRage brush engine? Never seen oils when eggshell yellow mixed with purple resulted in pink!

Compare ArtRage blending to SAI which has the best blending engine of any program to date.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by furio; 06-10-2009 at 07:22 PM.
    Black triangle cursor option for ArtRage 3 please!

Gallery
    View images
    thats a very nice example,Furio.. Exactly what I meant.

While I agree that there is a difference between the two- I have to say that both are quite useful. Ofcourse that there is a difference between OIL blending and Digital blending- colors will react accordingly to the material. I am sure that there is a way to get such smooth blending in artrage,but I dont know how really. I tried with the crayons- its still not as smooth as pt Sai.

When AR3 comes out,and it has watercolors (it will), I am going to be buying it the day it is out, with the hope that we could do that with a wet brush or something like that.

What I really love in ar25 is that the knife tool does not only mix colors- it moves the paint over the canvas. Paint tool sai doesnt have such a cool smudge tool
    Last edited by blurymind; 06-11-2009 at 10:11 AM.

Gallery
    View images
    yes there needs to be like a finger smudge tool. also fix the knife because it leaves a strange whitesh streak. Also circular palette knife type of blending tool would be nice. Maybe add a blending stump tool, that would be great!
    my work- gusion85.deviantart.com

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by chambersecrets View Post
    yes there needs to be like a finger smudge tool. also fix the knife because it leaves a strange whitesh streak.
    That's probably an effect of the lighting reflecting off the paint texture (which you can turn off with f5), eg if you're using it on very thin paint. (In which case, it just 'stretches/scrapes' the paint out, leaving it thinner and shiny)