ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Check Out My Just Finished Artwork Web Page Design.

Gallery
    View images

Check Out My Just Finished Artwork Web Page Design.

Hello Everyone,

I have just completed a personal Web Site where I have many digital, and natural media paintings up for viewing. Anyone interested please visit. Your comments and suggestions would be appreciated. This is my truly first attempt at designing an on-line web type site of a wide assortment of different types of artwork that I have completed over the years. Although most of the work does not have anything to do with Art Rage, there are two images I have completed with Art Rage in this web site design.

Visit at; http://www.frontiernet.net/~stephenthedigitalartist

If you missed my previous post about the digital art I created from scratch; Ladies of Xena Warrior Princess, you might like this one. This was actually my first experience putting artwork together on a web page design. The images have some problems resulting from reduced size to fit on the limited memory space available (lines look jagged and wavy in some images, as opposed to the original images). Some of these images in original size were larger than the limited 10MB space available to create a web page with the service I am using. I learned some lessons from the Xena Warrior Princess attempt and spent many hours on this new site adjusting reduced images to avoid this same problem.

Xena Warrior Princess; http://www.frontiernet.net/~stephenlopiano
    The very first digital art program that I worked with Art Rage 1

You may visit my personally designed website at: www.stephenlopiano.com
    There is one section full of pages there under the Digital Artwork category that is devoted entirely to paintings I have created with Art Rage.

Gallery
    View images
    on the second page, your missing the "a" in paint!

Gallery
    View images
    Huh? You got me looking over everything thoroughly and did not see any paint missing an a. Am I missing something here?

One problem I did notice is several images appear to have wavy jagged lines from too much compression of files and shrinking of image size to get memory way down. This is my personal internet service that allows only 10mb per e-mail address. Many of the images have original sizes ranging from 2MB to 15MB. Total size of this web design was 9.5mb.
    My primary goal when creating images is to produce printed hard copy so I really never take size limitations into consideration, in fact larger size files print better with hard copies. Still I wanted to get a sample of my work on the internet.

There is one section full of pages there under the Digital Artwork category that is devoted entirely to paintings I have created with Art Rage.

Gallery
    View images
    hey stephen Lo piano

i always a good desicion to make the step to the internet...
    first of all nice works you have, looks good!

Second, about your website i have some tips:
    1. many pictures are tooooo large (over 1Mb
    :shock. Think about all the lame internet connetions out there :P
    Reduce it (that's not a tip that's an order :twisted: )
    2. I have a 16:10 flatscreen (1650x1050 resolution) and first i only see the huge picture and no links! I scrolled down and ah well there they are! You should rearange the layout that everyone can see them without scrolling.
    3. Use only one font and use alwasy the same colors for links etc! The site would look much more professional and the handling would be much better!

Wich programm have you use for this?

Hope i help a little bit

greez maror
    M.Siegrist

Artrage 2.6 & Wacom Intuos 3 A5
    XP SP2

Gallery
    View images
    Missing the 'a'. . .

It's easy to miss details when you're busy juggling every new bit in a whole site.

You do want to be fastidious about details like that because accuracy does affect how people perceive you and your work, expecially if they're strangers surfing the net.

In my own stuff, I can sometimes look and look at something and still miss a detail. The difference is made by doing everything you can to see it differently when you're making your edits.

That's why we have proof readers. They bring a fresh eye.

Enjoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gallery
    View images
    Believe it or not, the above caption of my front page image is correct.
    The name of the program is truly Broderbund Print Shop Deluxe. It is a home graphics software program. Your probably thinking it is Broderbund Paint Shop Deluxe, yet this program does not have any bit map creation features. It is vector instensive for graphic design. Actually this would be
    an inexpensive graphic program to export Art Rage painted images into to add lettering. template designs, and gradient backgrounds for; newsletters, brochures, greeting card design, and many other types of projects.

Thanks for pointing this out. I am honestly beginning to believe that I am wasting my time with this nonsense. I must have looked at that image printed out over a hundred times and never noticed the missing r. It's not worth all the complications and frustrating aggravation of having to perfect everything with extensive hours where you loose sleep and make no money at anything. It's been an experience yet time and money have run out. It is much easier to sit around watching television and laugh for enjoyment to a comedy series or movie, and also better for you psychologically. Even better yet, just go out and make a living (money) at anything you can find a job doing.

Gallery
    View images
    You're right to follow what makes you happy, IMHO.

Maybe it's that page layout is just not your thing. Maybe painting is. Or something altogether different.

But as for a career choice, there are certainly more steady and easier ways than being an artist. Being a mechanic or whatever might be better choice for you.

But painting, drawing, sculpture, music, poetry, dance (quite different from commercial graphics) can be most pleasurable, and can really enrich one's life on a lot of levels. For certain types of people, graphics rocks. Not for everyone.

If it's this frustrating for you, it may be telling you something, as you noted.

Perhaps taking the pressure off yourself and look for that aspect of art that serves you better, do that, and it could turn it all around for you. It's just looking for a course correction.

I think anyone that has been in art (or anything) has felt this way at some point.

Good luck my friend.

Gallery
    View images
    I have changed and corrected the pointed out error. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. If this had been done on illustration board, pathetically the whole piece would have to be repainted. At least with computers if you keep the original native format used (in This case lettering added with Broderbund Print Shop Deluxe) it is easy enough to go into the file, make the correction, and then export over to the other files used such as jpg's, png's, etc.
    My problem is tracing everything back to make all corrections, especially back up support. I also create many power point files for displaying artwork with descriptions of how they were created, this jogs my memory on how I did a certain piece of artwork since I have many different finished projects and memory is not that good at my age.
    Going back and finding every file that needs to be corrected in this situation is a real time consuming task, and very frustrating. It was much easier when I first started and only had a couple of folders with 10 to 20 files in them. Right now my folders with files are getting into the thousands with various created file formats, jpg's, png's, sig, tif, bmp, ppt, cpt, cdr, rif, psp, psd, ptg, ufo, html, pdn, xpr, emf-wmf, and hcr for greeting cards I design. When I make an error like this I have to look through all these files for corrections related to this one mistake. Again back up media needs to be changed. This becomes very frustrating and aggravating. Sometimes I cannot trace an image to a native format since many images are created with several different programs.

I have done artwork in natural media for years, trained for 4 years back in the 1970's with natural media for illustrating, sign painting, cmmercial art, fine arts, and graphic arts through career training schools. Years ago I occasionally sold things or took on contract work sign painting. Within the past 2 years and one half, I have spent most of my time learning computer digital art and graphics. So far I have not sold anything completed or had any offers from people for requested products, not one penny. I have invested a lot of money and time in learning and practicing, even finished work. As I said in an earlier post, it would be much easier to live like most people do and enjoy your free time with entertainment, etc., and optimize your income potential by working at something that pays money, whatever your best option may be. I'm the type of person that can do good artwork when I have the time and money to pay the bills while working on artwork and extra money for buying all the necessary supplies to create good quality work. When time is limited due to other obligations to earn income my patience become limited along with the deterioration of quality and quantity of my output. I seem to develop this rushing type of apprehension (bad for creating good artwork and attending to details) when my time is limited and resources become scarce.

Gallery
    View images
    I hear ya, Stephen.

File management is not one of my favorite things either.

With digital, it's so easy to create versions, they can sometimes bury the artist inside an unmanagable heap. Before you know it, if you're careless about proper naming, cataloging of versions, or are too reluctant to delete anything, you're stuck.

It's an art in itself.

When I started in digitl art, I could never quite figure out how certain designers and photographers could choose to limit themselves so much. I mean with digital, you can do virtually anything.

It's because they soon learn the cost in time and energy of not setting limits.

It's also why they hire assistants.

If you can't afford assistants, then one must by necessity set limits, just so you don't burn off your creative juice on doing cataloging and maintenance.

If I were choosing to go professional, I would tighten my focus to where I get to be competative at one thing first. Get so good at it that people will hire you for that because you're the best at it they're willing to pay for.

Then, once you're working, you can diversify from that solid base.

Make it fun. Make it work for yourself. Be selective. And go for whatever it is you aspire to. . . and drop what you don't.