ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sketchbook Pro 2010

Sketchbook Pro 2010

I hope you don't mind but in addition to using ArtRage I also use Sketchbook Pro. The 2010 version is available as a trial download. You might want to check it out. Plus FINALLY... autodesk has a new web site and seems to be paying attention to it's users.

It's here

http://aliasdesign.autodesk.com/lear...review_133851/

I LOVE ARTRAGE and am eagerly waiting this upgrade too, and I love this forum, everyone is very helpful and kind, this is why I'm posting this note.

Cheers to you all.
    Susan Murtaugh satisfied user (ArtRage)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/suzi54241/

Hi Suzi. Hope all goes well with you .

I've not used Sketchbook Pro. Is there something particular (overall or a particular feature) about it that makes it useful for you that isn't adaquately developed in AR, or is it just that it's another tool worth checking out? You know I'm one who admires your work a lot, so would find your thoughts instructive.

Best,
    Byron
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

Hi Ho there Byron, thank you for the kind words first of all, we two are a mutual admiration society. As you thrill me with your patterns and color.

I use Sketchbook Pro because it's easier for me to use on my modbook (Mac tablet) I use it in conjunction with this whirly knob thing that I have programed to make my canvas react immediately to size and pressure. By nature I'm a drawer/drawist (haha) and the layers and dry media work very fast for me. AR uses different (not as conventional) shortcuts so I can only program in save and canvas panning. I'm almost as fast in AR but I have trouble resizing the canvas FAST and with one movement... then back to the pen or brush in AR. Now this may change when the Rage Boys upgrade this very fine program. (You see I also have seeing difficulties so I zoom in and out more than the average person.)

As an artist I use all tools to make my work come out the way my brain sees it, happy accidents are also accepted. To be honest I use Sketchbook Pro 70% of the time AR 30%, depending on mood and woman's temperament those percentages change. (My Ipod touch with brushes app is a new toy and fascination, for play!) And I also utilize Photoshop for finish tweaking, color balance and sharpening.

As an abstractionist you might love a new Sketchbook Pro feature, perfect symmetry tool, kinda like a spirograph. I've been playing with it tonight thinking how the people here will love it for making patterned stencils.

So my advice is download the trial. Play for 15 days. If it isn't a tool for you.. toss it. And if it is... add it to your arsenal of digital tools. ArtRage and Sketchbook Pro play very nicely together in my experience. Sorry this is Sooooo Long. Have a great new week ahead.
    Last edited by suziQ54241; 03-23-2009 at 04:44 PM.

Have you tried setting your dial to do mousewheel? That does smooth zooming in ArtRage on OSX as well as Windows. Multitouch scroll drags (2 finger touch drags) on a multitouch trackpad will also do smooth zooming of the canvas.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

I've not used Sketchbook Pro. Is there something particular (overall or a particular feature) about it that makes it useful for you that isn't adaquately developed in AR, or is it just that it's another tool worth checking out? You know I'm one who admires your work a lot, so would find your thoughts instructive.
    Sketchbook Pro is a great, extremely lightweight sketching program, that carries a limited tool box, and an intuitive GUI (much like artrage in all honesty)

It's a great package to cleanly jot down ideas and imaginations quickly and without the fuss of photoshops tabs and painters interface (for example).

I have the Sketchbook Pro 2010 trial, and at home am having difficulties with it, however, as school i fiddled around (with a mouse) captured a few brushes, drew some stuff, feels like 2009 with subtle yet very intuitive updates (custom captured brushes for one)
    http://shap00pi.deviantart.com/
    the moment you admit your good, is the day you stop trying

Suzi, Matt, Shapoopi, thanks for the feedback. It's very helpful. I think I'll just keep honing my skills with AR for now and see what wonders emerge with AR3.

Matt, you guys are generous with letting us explore conversations with your competitors products in your own forums. I have a lot of respect for that kind of openness, tolerance, and informed consent; something one doesn't see a lot in commerce these day.

Best to all,
    Byron
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

I agree with Byron above and other posts here that I have read. It takes a confident and talented team to keep up with their users and respond so quickly to problems and questions. The Rage fellows cannot be beat in this regard. Seeing how their users work ultimately lets them deliver the best software package too. Many thanks and slaps on the back.

I think I'll just keep honing my skills with AR for now and see what wonders emerge with AR3.

That's the tought I was going to give you. Might be worth it.
    Just say: "Rage It", because we already know it's art.

My ArtRage 3 and 4 Gallery------My Site ------- BROWSE MY BOOK

Quote Originally Posted by suziQ54241 View Post
    I hope you don't mind but in addition to using ArtRage I also use Sketchbook Pro. The 2010 version is available as a trial download. You might want to check it out. Plus FINALLY... autodesk has a new web site and seems to be paying attention to it's users.
    So it's just the trial demo thingy right now-not for sale yet?

I was curious what the price was. I also tried out Corel Sketchpad for around the same price as Sketchbook Pro. Was not impressed with the Corel product and went back to good old ArtRage2.

I'm always open to trying new software though....

Cheers

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Sweedie View Post
    I am using ArtRage since the first release. Before that I was a big Painter fan. I have tested Sketchbook now and then. But it is ArtRage for me and just a little Painter now and then. Sketchbook never felt like my tool. But I am always willing to test a new version...I will give it a go for the test period.
    When I first tried Sketchbook Pro a couple of versions ago, it was seriously overpriced-around $200. The SBP 2009 was cut to $100. Better but it's still only a 'Sketch' type software.