Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: large landscape

That is so photo-like! Amazing. Watching each image grow is like watching a large photo downloading on a PC screen with a slow connection.

part 6

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement Sketchism, Byron and Tolhaller. As a novice stumbling my way through this project, I appreciate it more than I can say (it's safe to say I've used my eraser nearly as much as the painting tools!).

As to my attention to detail, I feel compelled to say that the "appearance" of great detail can be a bit deceiving; the oversize canvas I'm using is a VERY forgiving medium/surface (when I zoom all the way in, the "details" are often just less impressive blotches of color). It's as if I drew something with an average attention to detail on a 2' by 3' sheet of posterboard but was then able to shrink it down to the size of a sheet of typing paper; the precision would appear meticulous. However, if you absolutely insist on complementing my "attention to detail," who am I to complain...

Since I've revised my overall plan several times and am still undecided as to what will go in a couple areas of the canvas, I'm jumping around and focusing on areas I AM sure of. I hope you enjoy this next part. jb
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	landscape 6.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	322.5 KB 
ID:	26187  

This is coming along great..

JB -- you're right about the detail. I think you're on the right track here, because when I click on the "thumbnail" in the forum to see the "full-size" image, it's better. But then I like the "painterly" style over "photo-realistic".

I am eager to see how this comes out!
    WARNING: ArtRage can cause serious loss of time, and excessive smiling! Use with care! Frequently!

“All creativity is an extended form of a joke.” – Alan Kay

jb, this is fabulous! i would love to be able to see the large size, however when i "click on the image to see the full size" it usually comes up smaller. it's awesome though!

part 7

Thanks a lot weembaman, yachris and earthmama; kind words are like vitamins...keep a guy going! And sorry, earthmama; if there's a way to make a larger image accessable, I don't know it. As it is, I need to trim my working image down to 65% in order to meet the download size limits of the gallery (I may have to make it even smaller once the painting is complete...we'll see).

Been plugging away (as the dust bunnies grow fruitful and multiply in my apartment...oh well...)

jb
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	landscape 7.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	362.0 KB 
ID:	26259  

Hey jb... I am just blown away by this yet beside myself trying to figure out how you are doing this. It really is amazing. I don't think my printer is even this detailed. Keep it comin... This is what my face looks like every time you post your progress. Do you mind me asking...what DPI are you painting this at?
    "The significance is hiding in the insignificant. Appreciate everything."
    Eckhart Tolle

Hey Sketchism; thanks for the continued interest...as a relative novice, this has been (and is) quite a journey for me and I feel I'm learning a great deal (with much yet to learn, of course). I'm using several photos (and a bit of my imagination) as reference but hope to rely more on my mind's eye as time goes on. As an insatiable reader and one who makes his living working with words, bringing to the canvas what my imagination "sees" as I read or write is my goal. That time, my friend, is a way off.

This work is on a 3072 x 2214 canvas at a DPI of 300; before posting to the forum, I resize it to 65% of that size. I'm using oil brush, glitter tool (my main tool) and knife at soft and edge settings; each almost always at the smallest (or nearly smallest) settings. I spend most actual working time zoomed way way in but am constantly zooming out to "step back" and see what works and what doesn't. Ooops; almost forgot another tool that gets a lot of use...the eraser.

How about a peek at those reference photos?
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

Just more interesting with each installment! You may feel as if you´re "travelling Eternity road," but there will be an end here one day. Until then we´ll be "watching and waiting."
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.