ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Can't PAINT!!!

Question Can't PAINT!!!

When I open ArtRage and try to start painting, all that happens is the canvas moves where ever I move my mouse. It's like I am clicking and dragging the canvas instead of clicking and painting.

This is so frustrating. It used to work perfectly fine for me. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling it.

THANKS!

Artrage typically will move the canvas when the spacebar is held down or the right mouse button is held down.

If you are seeing this happen when using the left mouse button, it is likely that something on the system is sending a spacebar or right mouse button message to Artrage. Check that the spacebar, right mouse button, tablet stylus button aren't stuck first.

Otherwise, if you have been has been viewing flash content on the web ( youtube, animations ) then use ArtRage, it's possible that the canvas will move instead of media being laid down. This is due to shockwave flash sending a spacebar message ( I'm not sure why this occurs, but we've been able to reproduce it here after watching flash content )

To correct this, try tapping the spacebar in the web browser or ArtRage, as this should reset the status of the spacebar as far as the operating system is concerned, and allow painting to occur.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

I had this same thing happen with my installation today.
    Assumed it was a bug (I'm using the starter edition).
    I restarted ArtRage, created a new image (rather than opening an existing one) and the problem seemed to go away.
    Verdict is still out for me...

Workaround, not a solution

I've had the same error in both XP as in Vista. An earlier suggested solution by Ambient Design (deleting the Artrage.prs file while program is closed) does not make much difference.

In my particular case this error occurs at least once a day (ie, if I start Artrage 3 times a day, at least once, usually the first time, the error occurs), right after start-up, the automatic update checker kicks in (even though I had it turned off last time). When it does not find an update, normal canvas appears yet with the default paint-brush (and not the precise cursor I have normally set). Paint-action only results in canvas being dragged, no matter which tool I select.

I have noticed two further singularities regarding this error:

1. When program opens normally and I am able to paint/do other stuff with it, if I leave program open while doing some none-artrage stuff, the error spontaneously (yet occasionally) occurs after some time (ie, 30 minutes). Cursor appears as default and any movement and left click only results in canvas being dragged.
    2. This also happens the other way round. Program is started-up and error occurs. Leaving program open will, in some occasions, lead to the disappearance of the error after 10-15 minutes.

------Work-Around------
    The work-around I have found is simple: press Control-Alt-Delete to bring up Task Manager and simply 'kill' the process (Artrage.exe) manually. Then restart Artrage. Works 99% of the time for me.

If ArtRage is reset to defaults when you start up, then it's specifically getting a spacebar message from somewhere ( spacebar resets all settings when ArtRage is started up so you'll get the check for updates and default tool settings ).

If you use youtube or other flash content regularly, hit the spacebar in your browser before launching ArtRage as there's a known problem where flash is indicating that the spacebar is down when it is not.

Also if the problem is happening daily, try closing background programs you're using before you launch ArtRage and see if the behavior changes, as it appears likely there's something in your particular configuration which is going to be setting the status of the spacebar as far as ArtRage is concerned due to it happening so frequently for you. That's not a solution, but it may give a pointer as to what is causing the behavior.

Feel free to email me directly at support@ambientdesign.com so that I can do some some more advanced troubleshooting with you, and let me know what applications you're using / what you do outside ArtRage in that 30 minutes or so time period you mentioned when the problem happens for you.

We've found a way to prevent this problem affecting ArtRage for a future release.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design