ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Painting size and onscreen size

Painting size and onscreen size

Is it possible to get the painting screen size to be the same as the physical size?

I made a new canvas and set it to 10 inches by 6 inches and on the screen ( set to 100% ) it is only about 7 1/4 inches by 4 3/8 inches.

Since it is set to 100% I expected it to be that exact size since I am working on a 20.5 wide screen monitor that has plenty of space for that.

It seems as though the 100% zoom is actually only about 70%.

Ah I just experimented and typed in 136% in the zoom box and that set it to 10 x 6. I started with 130% and measured and then increased it a couple of times until I hit it on the button.

Why isn't 100% 100%?

Is it something about my monitor / video card?

I know I have made several posts in the last day or so about problems / questions ... I hope I'm not being too critical. Don't mean to be.

I do love Artrage
    My artistic ability is strained to draw stick figures.

I sit here in front of the computer in awe of the talent displayed by the posters in Art Rage.

Willie, I have this same problem and it's frustrating. However I have the same problem with most programs, so don't think this is AR related. Lots of things seem to affect what 100% is on your monitor. Change your screen resolution and 100% will be different on your screen for most programs than it was in your previous screen resolution. I don't think for most programs the 100% really correlates very well with the real world.

Currently I take a real world ruler, and using the AR ruler template as a guide against a real ruler held up to my screen, find out what zoom percentage to set the AR painting to match the real world. If it turns out to be, let's say 113%, whenever I want to work in the painting at real-world size I zoom to 113%. Seems a wierd way to get there, but it works. I'd welcome knowing a about a simpler and relaible route.

Byron
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

If you want sizes on the screen to match sizes displayed by ArtRage you need to match your painting DPI to your screen DPI.
    Screen resolution is typically between 72 DPI and 120 DPI.
    However the size will still be different for someone else viewing your painting if their screen resolution doesn't match yours.
    For example... If you have a screen with 72 DPI, and you make your painting 10 inches square, that's 720 x 720 pixels.
    If you send that painting as a JPG to me, my screen is, say, 120 DPI. The painting will be 720 / 120 = 6 inches square on my monitor.

The 100% indicator is that the painting pixels match your monitor pixels 1:1. So if your painting is 720 pixels wide, it will take up 720 pixels of monitor.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Ah ha!!

Thanks for the explanation.

Now I'm trying to remember where it tells me what my screen resolution is. I believe it's 96 but not sure. Hmmmm.

But setting it to 136% works too but is a clumsy workaround.

Thanks again for being so patient with all my questions.
    My artistic ability is strained to draw stick figures.

I sit here in front of the computer in awe of the talent displayed by the posters in Art Rage.